Kashmir Valley Shuts for 2nd Day Against Civilian Killings


Srinagar: Amid clashes and protests, Kashmir Valley witnessed a complete shutdown for the second consecutive day on Tuesday to mourn the killing of eight young boys in police and paramilitary firing.

The two days call for shutdown was given by ‘Joint Resistance’ leadership comprising of Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik.

 At least eight civilians in the age group of 15 -25 were killed on polling day on Sunday in Central Kashmir while over 50 protesters were wounded during day long clashes between protesters and Government forces.

The violent incidents were mostly reported from Central Kashmir’s Budgam district while a youth was also killed in Ganderbal district in BSF firing on Sunday evening.

 All the shops and business establishments, educational institutions and petrol pumps remained shut while transport was off the roads. Besides, Srinagar, complete shutdown was observed in other parts of Valley as well.

 Both in civil lines and downtown areas of Srinagar city observed a complete shutdown though vendors in some parts of the city were seen doing normal business. Authorities had made all the arrangements to deal with any kind of situation while heavy contingent of government forces personnel were deployed in restive areas of the city.

In Qamarwari area of Srinagar, large number of people participated in the last rites of Ali Muhammad Dagga, a driver by profession who was killed after he lost control over his vehicle near Tengpora Batamloo and collided with an electric pole after he was hit by a stone during clashes between protesters and government forces. The mourners according to reports chanted pro-freedom slogans.

Reports from Central Kashmir’s Budgam district said that two restaurants were gutted in a mysterious fire in Khag town on Monday night. A police official said that a formal case has been registered and investigation has been set into motion in this regard. He refuted the reports that the restaurants were set on fire for defying Hurriyat sponsored shutdown call.

At least four passengers including the conductor of the bus (JK09-357D) were wounded when some youth attacked it with stones near Takipora Sopora in Baramullah district.

“The situation remained peaceful across Valley,” said a police official.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.