How KU Records Were Sidelined Which ‘Proved’ Rafiq Shah Was Innocent

SRINAGAR: Muhammad Rafiq Shah, one of the three Kashmiri acquitted by a Delhi Court after 12 years in multiple bomb blast case, as per the Kashmir University official records was present in his classroom on the day of blast.

“Yes, he was in the class and the then Vice Chancellor Kashmir Professor Wahid Ahmad had handed over the official records and his attendance to Delhi Police. Despite this he was booked and his precious 11 years of life were ruined,” former Head of Department Islamic Studies at Kashmir University, Professor Naseem Ahmed Shah, told news agency CNS adding that Rafiq was a bright student. “He was punctual and his results were always good,” Shah added.

Pertinently, in 2005, three bombs went off in crowded Delhi markets ahead of Diwali, killing 67 people.

Delhi police arrested Muhammad Rafiq Shah after a team visited Kashmir University.

His arrest sparked three weeks continuous shutdown at Varsity while officials at the University too vouched for his innocence.

“A team from Delhi Police visited Kashmir University then and the then Vice Chancellor handed over details about the Muhammad Rafiq. He was arrested and flown to New Delhi despite the fact, he was present in the class room on the day of blasts in New Delhi,” said a Professor at Kashmir University.

“This is the mockery of police and justice system in India. You arrest an innocent and ruin his life. After a decade you say sorry to him. There is a need to initiate action against those police officers who implicate innocent people in false cases,” he said and added that hollow justice system of India has ruined the careers of scores of people from Kashmir.

Muhammad Rafiq Shah, now 34, a resident of Shuhama Hazratbal, according to his family was implicated for being “religious”. “We were hopeful of his acquittal as we knew he was innocent.”

“My son was in his classroom in Kashmir when the blasts happened that day. He is innocent. He lost more than a decade of his life to false allegations. Who is going to give that back to us?” asked 55-year-old Mehbooba Yasin, Rafique’s mother.

“We belong to a poor family and our son was our only hope for a better life. He was a bright student and wanted to do something for the youth of Kashmir,” Rafique’s father said. (CNS)

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.