Army Chief’s Statement: Clashes, Protests In Parts Of Kashmir

Jammu: Clashes and pro-freedom protests were witnessed in different parts of Kashmir Valley including capital city Srinagar on Friday.

Protests and clashes erupted in Nowhatta area of Srinagar city against the Indian Army Chief statement. A rally was carried out shortly after Friday congregational prayers that were led by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq. Mirwaiz while condemning the remarks made by Indian Army Chief said that the army chief needs to ask the executive of his country as to why the institution of army is being used by them to crush a mass political movement of people demanding their political right and why do people at the obvious risk to their lives gather? Only because they see them as freedom fighters pushed by the arrogance of Indian state which is not willing to address the Kashmir dispute politically and pushing educated youth towards armed resistance.

 “The Indian Army chief should be in know of the fact that people of Kashmir were fighting for their right to self determination since 1947 and India had left no stone unturned to unleash every known type of atrocity on Kashmiris,” he said.

After the departure of Mirwaiz from the spot, scores of youth waving green flags clashed with government forces who retaliated with tear-smoke shells. The intense clashes left many people injured.

Clashes erupted in Hyderpora after a group of youth hurled rocks on police during a peaceful procession that was led by Pir Saifullah, Muhammad Yousuf Mujahid, Ghazi Javaid Baba and Syed Imtiyaz Hyder. The procession was taken out against the detentions, ransacking of houses and Army Chief’s remarks. The protesters termed the Indian Army Chief’s statement as irresponsible and asked Government of India to resolve the Kashmir issue. Witnesses said that some youth pelted stones on the police who retaliated with mild force.

Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front organized a rally in Maisuma and offered funeral prayers in absentia for those killed in different terrorist activities in Pakistan. The protesters carried placards and banners seeking resolution to Kashmir issue.

Clashes erupted between protesters and government forces in north Kashmir’s Sopore town after congregational Friday prayers.

Reports said that groups of youth tried to march from Jamia Masjid area amid pro-freedom slogans, but were stopped by the government forces already deployed in strength in the area.

Forces used teargas shells to disperse the protesters who were pelting stones.

Pulwama town in southern part of Kashmir Friday after congregational prayers witnessed clashes triggering shopkeepers to down the shutters, reports said. Reports said that scores of youth took out a Pro-freedom rally after the congregational prayers.

“When the protesters reached near Murran chowk, the forces already deployed in strength there tried to stop the youth triggering clashes. As per eyewitnesses the youths attacked the forces with stones who resorted to heavy teargas shelling. Clashes later spread to Rajpora chowk, they said.

Reports said that a massive protest rally was carried out at Muhammadpora area of Kulgam town. Amid pro-freedom slogans the protesters marched lanes and bylanes of the district and offered special prayers for the militants and civilians killed in different encounters in Valley. (CNS)


Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.