Militants Involved in Aug 15 Fidayeen Attack Killed: Police

Srinagar: J&K Police on Tuesday said that two suspected militants involved in August 15, 2016 Fidayeen attack at Nowhatta were killede in an encounter on Tuesday in central Kashmir’s Ganderbal district.

Notably, a commandant of CRPF 49 BN namely Pramod Kumar and a police constable of J&K police namely Rouf Ahmad were killed in the pre-dawn Fidayeen attack last year in summer capital.

A J&K Police officer told the Kashmir Observer that an encounter between armed forces and militants started early this morning in Central Kashmir’s Ganderbal district.

“Militants hiding inside a residential house opened fire as soon as security forces cordoned off the village,” the official said.

He said that following a tip off about the presence of militants in Hadoora, Shuhama area of Ganderbal district, armed forces inclduing army, police, SOG and CRPF cordoned off the area and launched search operation.

The forces included police parties from Srinagar as well, sources said.

“The hiding militants opened fire on the joint search party which was retaliated, triggering an encounter,” the police official said.

During the encounter, reports said, “the house where militants were hiding was blasted resulting in the death of two militants.”

Later in the evening, police idenbtified the slain duo militants as as Qari Hanzullah and Anas Bilal, both residents of Pakistan.

“Both of them were involved in many militancy related activities which included the killing of a civilian Abdul Ahad Dar son of Abdul Gafar Dar resident of Gusoo Zakoora Srinagar on May 2015,” the JKP spokesperson said in a statement. “They were also involved in the attack on SSB convoy at Zakoora Srinagar in October last year in which one SSB Jawan was killed  and seven SSB personnel and a police constable was injured.”

The police statement added that the duo was operating in district Srinagar and Ganderbal areas since January 22, 2013 and had recently started coordinating with HM. “These slain militants were transporting newly infiltrated groups from one place to another and were managing safe places and hideouts for them.”

It added that two AK-47 riffles, one Grenade, six Magazines and 180 rounds were recovered from the encounter site.

Meanwhile, a local news gathering agency, CNS, reported that a militant was killed in a gunfight along the Line of Control (LoC) in Rajouri district of Jammu region.

The CNS quoting  army said that they foiled an “infiltration” bid in early hours on Tuesday along the LoC in Sunderbani sector of Rajouri. “The alert troops engaged the infiltrators with effective automatic fire while drawing heavy retaliatory fire,” it said.

Case Registered over ‘Misleading’ Pics of Ganderbal Encounter

J&K Police on Tuesday said that it registered a case in connection with “misleading pictures” showing the two militants killed in Ganderbal encounter “being dragged” by a vehicle.

“Police have taken cognisance of some people having uploaded pictures on social networking sites with the concocted information that the bodies of the militants had been dragged after the encounter in Ganderbal,” police spokesperson said in a statement.

The pictures, depicting the slain men with their legs tied by ropes to a jeep and being dragged by the vehicle, were posted on social networking sites soon after the encounter ended in Ganderbal district on Tuesday.

“Such posts are misleading and no such act has been committed with the bodies of the killed militants. The photographs being circulated are not from any part of Kashmir,” the police asserted. “A case has been registered against the people spreading this false information on social networking sites, particularly on Facebook.”

Policeman injured in grenade attack in south Kashmir

A policeman was injured in a grenade attack by suspected militants in south Kashmir district of Pulwama this evening, official sources here told UNI.

They said that militants hurled a grenade at a police party at Hall in Pulwama, resulting in injuries to a policeman.

The injured was immediately taken to a hospital, they said, adding the militants managed to escape under the cover of darkness.

People ran for safety after the blast, sound of which was heard in the entire area.

However, a massive search operation has been launched to nab the militants responsible for the grenade attack.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.