Malik Leads Protests In Pulwama, Held


Pulwama: Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) Chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik was today detained after he attempted to lead a protest rally in south Kashmir district of Pulwama against issuance of domicile certificates to West Pakistan Refugees (WPRs) and Supreme Court’s (SC) ruling on SARFAESI Act.

According to a JKLF spokesperson, Malik gave a slip to security force in Srinagar and managed to reach south Kashmir, where he was scheduled to lead a protest rally.

Witnesses said that Malik, who had reached Pulwama town in the middle of the night, came out of the Jamia Masjid after congregational Friday prayers to lead the protest rally. Police personnel deployed outside the mosque swooped on him as soon as he came out. To prevent his arrest, people staged a strong protest, said an eyewitness. 


Security forces had to burst teargas shells to disperse the demonstrators, who were resisting Malik’s arrest.

“Malik and several other protestors were injured in the incident,” he spokesperson added.

Police fired teargas shells to disperse the protesters, triggering clashes.

Malik addressed people inside and outside Jamia Masjid and urged upon people of Kashmir to raise the voice against the evil designs of India. He also appealed people to stay away from the Parliament elections. 

Police had cordoned off the Jamia Masjid Pulwama after Malik appeared their during morning prayers. He was not allowed to come out of the Masjid from morning to afternoon prayers.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.