Curfew continues in Shehr-e-Khas for 5th day 

Srinagar (UNI) :Curfew continued in Shehar-e-Khas (SeK) and down town for the fifth day today while elsewhere in the summer capital, Srinagar, strict restrictions remained imposed and majority roads remained closed with razor wire concertina.

Curfew remained imposed in the areas falling under the jurisdiction of five police stations of Nowhatta, M R Gung, Khanyar, Safa Kadal and Rainawari in the down town and SeK for the past five consecutive day today.  

Though police said there are only restrictions elsewhere in the city, the situation on the ground was entirely different as majority roads remained closed and security forces directing people to stay indoor.

There was no change in the situation in the down town and SeK where curfew remained imposed for the fifth consecutive day today, fourth day “ Fateha” of 12-year-old Junaid Ahmad killed when security forces fired pellets at Sadipora Eidgah during pro freedom demonstrations.

Today the main road to S K Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS) also remained closed and even ambulances and other health vehicles were too were not allowed. All vehicles were being directed through Nowhatta to avoid Saidpora Eidgah where the Fateha of Junaid was held. The residents of Eidgah alleged that they were not being allowed to move out of their houses by the security forces who are directing them to remain indoor. 

The entire Nallahmar road from Chattabal to Khanyar continued to wore a deserted look with only security forces remained deployed to prevent assembly of people. Residents on both sides of the road alleged that they are facing shortage of essentials, including milk, vegetables and bread besides medicine due to curfew restrictions since Friday. 


Repeated announcements were being made directing people to remain indoor, the residents alleged.  Milkmen and vegetable sellers could not come from outskirts due to curfew.

A UNI correspondent who visited a number of areas saw majority roads closed with barbed wire and security forces directing people to go back.       

The historic Jamia Masjid remained closed and no prayers could be offered there due to restrictions. Large number of security forces could be seen deployed in the Jamia Market and outside the Masjid to prevent people from entering there.

No Friday prayers could be offered since July 9 in the mosque, stronghold of  Hurriyat Conference led by Mirwaiz  Farooq, who is under detention in the sub jail Cheshmashahi since August 14. 

 A UNI correspondent who visited civil lines, including historic Lal Chowk, the nerve centre of the city, saw majority roads closed with barbed wire and security forces and state police personnel deployed to strictly implement the restrictions.

The Amira Kadal bridge, connecting Hari Singh High Street (HSHS) to Lal Chowk remained closed and nobody was being allowed to cross it. However, Budshah Bridge was open though security forces remained deployed, keeping a close watch.

Security forces had also closed many roads in the civil lines to prevent assembly of people. Roads leading to Miasma remained closed with barbed wire at Budshah chowk, Gaw Kadal, Red Cross road and Madina chowk.

Main road at Barbarshah connecting SeK and down town with civil lines also remained closed and nobody was being allowed to cross it.

Large number of security forces wearing bullet proof jackets and holding automatic and lathis in their hands were deployed in strength to strictly implement restrictions in Batmaloo and adjoining  areas .  

Though there was no curfew in other parts of the city, including uptown, security forces and state police personnel, wearing bullet proof jackets and holding automatic weapons and shields remained deployed to prevent any violence.

However, shops and business remained closed and traffic remained closed and traffic off the roads for the past 95th days.

In the uptown though there was no official curfew, but hundreds of security forces remained deployed and main road, including Srinagar airport, remained closed at several places. Rambagh bridge was also closed and only those having curfew passes were being allowed.


Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.