Men in Uniform continue to target journalists

SRINAGAR: The latest couple of incidents clearly proves that instructions have been given to government forces to restrict the movement of the journalists across Kashmir. The irony is that journalists are not only be­ing stopped but abused and man­handled as well.

On Wednesday night, when the Editor of a Daily English newspa­per ‘Brighter Kashmir’ Farooq Ahmed Wani was returning from Press Colony to his house, he was stopped by CRPF personnel at Safakadal. “After dishonouring curfew pass and ignoring to see the identity card, they (CRPF) hit me with gun butts and asked me to return back. I was shocked and for a moment I thought they will kill me as it was dark and nobody was walking on the road,” Wani told CNS adding that it seems that the government forces have been instructed to harass, maim and kill people without any mercy in Kashmir.

Greater Kashmir correspon­dent for Bandipora district and a journalist of a television chan­nel were abused and threatened by the army on Thursday while they were performing their pro­fessional duties.

Eja-ul-Haq Bhat, Greater Kashmir correspondent for Ban­dipora district said that he along with Muhammad Sayeed, a cor­respondent with ETV news chan­nel, were stopped and abused by Army's 27 RR near Kaloosa when they were travelling on their motorcycle to another village of Onagam.

"They threatened to beat us. They abused and used foul lan­guage. We told them (army) that we are journalist and are per­forming our professional duties. This infuriated them more and they hurled choicest abuses at both of us," Bhat said.

In Habba Kadal area of Srinagar city, a senior journalist was chased away by a group of CRPF men dur­ing the wee hours on Thursday. “They tried to hit me near Gan­patyar Hababkadal but I escaped unhurt. Despite revealing my iden­tity I was abused,” said a scribe who wished not to be named.

Pertinently, SDPO Sadder, Amod Ashok Nagpure along with team at Jawahar Nagar on Wednesday stopped Rising Kash­mir Security and Defence Report­er, Sumaiya Yousuf and abused and harassed her.

“The armed forces led by SDPO Sadder stopped me near Jawahar Nagar and when I showed the of­ficer all the documents including my curfew pass, he let loose his forces on my vehicle and abused me hurling all sorts of invec­tives,” Sumaiya said. Though top police officer later on apologized to Rising Kashmir and assured that curfew passes would be dully honoured but ye the reports about harassment of journalists are pouring in from different places of Kashmir Valley. (CNS)



Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.