Day 41:Army Beats Lecturer To Death


Srinagar: A contractual lecturer was allegedly beaten to death by army on Wednesday night after the soldiers barged into residential houses at Khrew Pampore and beat up the inmates. The killing has taken the death toll to 71 since the death of Hizb militant, Burhan Wani who was killed in police action on July 8 in the South Kashmir village of Bamdoor in Kokernag, Anantnag.  

According to the reports, the slain lecturer has been identified as Shabir Ahmad Mongu, son of Wali Muhammad Mongu, resident of Sharshali Khrew. Along with many other youth, the deceased was allegedly picked up by forces on Wednesday night during the nocturnal raid in the Shaar Saali Pampore area of South Kashmir’s Pulwama district. 

A senior doctor at Pampore sub-district hospital said Mangoo was brought dead to the hospital.

The residents said the forces damaged their houses and arrested several youth among which Mangoo was killed while few others are injured. About 35 injured from the area were removed to local health centre Khrew and 15 referred to Srinagar hospitals.

Residents alleged that army and SOG of Jammu and Kashmir Police barged into their homes at around 11:30 pm and beat up the inmates, including women.

“Besides other people, Shabir Ahmad was dragged out of home and beaten ruthlessly before being whisked away by the forces.

[[{“type”:”media”,”fid”:”8372″,”view_mode”:”wysiwyg”,”instance_fields”:”override”,”attributes”:{“style”:”width: 100px; height: 100px;”}}]]

“Around 1.00am, we were asked to collect his (Shabir’s) body,” the protesting locals said adding that around 60 other people have been injured.

The locals also said that the slain lecturer’s brother has also been critically injured by the army who is battling with death at the SMHS hospital, Srinagar.

“It was a hell like situation. They (Army) barged into our houses, assaulted people, harassed females and dragged youth out from houses, bundled them into vehicles and physically tortured them in the camp,” the locals said wishing not to be named.

“It was a cold blooded murder and we will never forget this,” said a group of youth. The killing sparked widespread protest while men and women staged a massive anti-Army protest in the area.

Amid anti-government, anti-India slogans the people carried out a procession denouncing the innocent killings.

Meanwhile, curfew and restrictions remained in force in Srinagar, Anantnag town and Pampore. Reports said that heavy deployment of forces was seen in Srinagar city with all roads leading to the local office of United Nations Military Observers Group (UNMOG) at Sonawar sealed. The authorities strictly imposed night curfew in the city in view of the separatists’ call for March to the UN office over a 72-hour period beginning Wednesday.

Mobile Internet and mobile telephony services across the valley remained suspended. However, broadband services were restored on Wednesday night after five days.

A sit-in was held in Srinagar’s Nawa Kadal area to protest the continued killings of civilians in Kashmir.  Scores of men, women and children gathered at Ansari Chowk Khanqah-e-Sokhta and staged the sit-in, which was led by Hurriyat (M) leader Masroor Ansari. The protesters chanted pro-freedom and anti-India slogans.


Reports from North Kashmir’s Bandipora said that hundreds of people took to streets to pay homage to Hizb-ul-Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani on his Chelum. Reports said the villagers of Ayathmula, Ajar, Khayar, Papchan, Aragam, and other adjoining villages assembled at one place where tents were erected to have offer prayers for Wani. Reports also said that the local mosques blared out pro-freedom and pro- Burhan numbers.

Reports from South Kashmir’s Shopian district said that hundreds of protesters irked by nocturnal raid attacked the residence of People’s Democratic Party MLA from Shopian, Advocate Muhammad Yousuf Bhat on Wednesday night and set his guard room ablaze in his absence.

Sources said that police raided many residences in Mimender, area of Shopian during night to arrest youth however, police party faced stiff resistance from the people who hold nocturnal protests and foiled police attempt to arrest youth.

Local sources said that soon after police party left the spot, angry protesters attacked nearby residence of Bhat.

They pelted stones on Bhat’s house and attacked even PSO’s guarding it, they said.

Seeing the intensity of the attack, the PSO’s guarding PDP leader’s residence fled the spot, they said adding “angry people set the guard room on fire.”

PDP legislator Bhat confirmed the attack on his house and said that nobody was present there at that time.

Reports from North Kashmir’s Kupwara district said that a 27 year old youth was injured at Batergam area when government forces opened fire to disperse a pro-freedom procession. Hundreds of people organized a march from Batergam to main Chowk Kupwara however government forces opened fire to disperse the protesters resulting in injury to one youth. Hospital sources said that the said youth was hit by bullet in his leg and he was referred to Srinagar for specialized treatment.   

Pertinently, normal life has been paralysed in the Valley due to street protests since the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter with the government forces on July 8.

RELATED: List of 70 persons Killed in 39 Days of Protests

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.