Thousands Join Funerals Of Slain Youth, Scores Injured In Fresh Violence

Srinagar: A day after three more civilians were killed, state authorities on Saturday extended restrictions and curfew to more areas of Kashmir Valley while major parts of the capital city continued to reel under a strict curfew.  Officials said that curfew was also in force in four towns of Budgam district -Chadoora, Khansahib, Magam and Budgam; Anantnag town and Khanpora area of Baramulla district.
A procession was taken out in Chattabal area of Srinagar city where a large number of people had assembled to observe the Fateha Khwani of Reyaz Ahmed Shah who was killed by CRPF a few days back.
Amid pro-freedom slogans the youth hit to roads and waved green flags. The protest culminated peacefully. Stone-pelting incidents were reported from Chanapora area of city.
Panic gripped South Kashmir’s Anantnag district when government forces showered pellets on a peaceful protest in Chee area of the district. 
Reports said that more than 20 people, including several women suffered pellet injuries who were immediately shifted to Sub-District Hospital Anantnag. 
Umar Khurshid Ganaie, a resident of Anchidora, was shifted to Srinagar for advanced treatment.
Locals alleged that government forces targeted a peaceful rally at Chee Khanabal and inflicted wounds on scores of participants, including women. 
Residents alleged that police even put the tent on fire that had been erected for the comfort of the people, however police denied the charges. The police action sparked violent protest in the area while forces used tear-smoke shells to disperse protesters. During the clashes an SPO Firdous Ahmed was wounded and referred to Srinagar hospital.
Clashes also broke out in Heerpora Shopian where people pelted stones on the police. 
Reports said that forces personnel retaliated with tear-smoke shells. The clashes left at least 10 persons wounded.
Reports from South Kashmir’s Pulwama district said that a huge pro-freedom rally was organized in which thousands of people participated. The march started from Karimabad area and headed towards Ratnipora village of the district. People participated in the rally in bikes, trucks and light motor vehicles waving Islamic flags and chanting pro-freedom and anti-India slogans.  Reports from Chandagam Tahab Pulwama said that after stone-pelting incidents government forces damaged bikes and deflated the tyres of tractors ferrying people for attending a pro-freedom rally.
A pro-freedom rally was organized in Wounpora Kulgam that was attended by large number of people.
Reports from Sopore and Khansahab Budgam said that thousands of people participated in the funeral prayers of two youth who were killed in clashes in with Indian troopers on Friday.
Thousands of people rushed to Wagoora Saturday morning and participated in the funeral of 22 year old Danish Rasool who was killed by police on Friday. Danish was laid to rest at his ancestral graveyard in Wagoora area of north Kashmir’s Baramulla district today amid pro-freedom slogans.
Thousands of people also participated in the funeral prayers of 21-year-old Sameer Ahmad Wani at his ancestral village Mullanaroo Takya Farooq in central Kashmir’s Budgam district. 

Reports said that thousands of people from Gamgula, Hariwani, Takiya Farooq, Shanipora, Kenura, Dabipora, Yarikhah, Jawalapora of Khansahab started marching towards Mula Naroo from Saturday morning. Some of the religious preachers of the area used public address systems to pay tributes to those killed in the ongoing unrest. They also stressed on unity among various religious schools for the sake of ongoing resistance. Mourners shouted pro-freedom and anti-India slogans as they marched with the body towards Naroo cricket ground where thousands offered the prayers.
A police official said that shortly after the culmination of funeral prayers a group of protesters set an abandoned police post on fire in Wagoora Sopore. “Police had already abandoned the post. Some protesters attacked it and set it on fire,” he said.
 Locals at Safapora Mansbal area of North Kashmir’s Ganderbal district staged massive protest against the arrest of two brothers during nocturnal raid. The locals from Rangarmohalla, Batapora, Chewa, Waripora, Asham and Pehlipora hit to roads and demanded immediate release of the duo. 
A female protester Humaira Nabi said that forces personnel have let loose a reign of terror in these areas while property worth millions have damaged by these forces personnel.
Reports said that curfew was imposed in Pattan area of north Kashmir’s Baramulla district on Saturday after four persons were injured in pellet firing by government forces.  
Reports said that people had assembled in Pattan Chowk and more people were heading to join the demonstration after announcements were made through public address systems of mosques.
Witnesses said that forces used teargas shelling and pellet firing to disperse the protesters, which led to injuries to four people. The injured included a girl, identified as Muzamila Bano. 
All the injured were shifted to Sub-district hospital where from one of the injured was shifted to Srinagar for advanced treatment.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.