Bloodbath On: 3 More Shot Dead


SRINAGAR: Friday turned red as three more Kashmiris were shot dead and more than 100 others were injured as government forces used massive force to quell the mass uprising which refuses to die down even after a stifling 28 day long curfew and curbs.
Police backed by Central paramilitary forces fired pellets at a protest in Sopore resulting in the instant death of a 22 year old student, Danish Rasool Mir, s/o Gh Rasool Mir.
Danish a resident of Mangam Kreeri was hit by a barrage of pellets, eyewitnesses said and he collapsed there. He was rushed to Sopore hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.
“His respiratory track was ruptured after being hit by pellets,” doctors at Sopore hospital said.
A report from Sopore said that there were protests going on in every part of the town. The day long clashes left more than 38 people injured.
According to SP Sopore, there are protests almost everywhere in Sopore. “We used pellets and did not fire bullets anywhere,” the officer said.
Civil administration sources in Sopore said 75 were injured and seven of them were reported to be in serious condition and have been shifted to Srinagar.
Meanwhile, the medical authorities in Sopore have sent an SOS to nearby hospitals seeking ambulances for evacuating injured to other hospitals. Neither police nor medical officials were in a position to offer any idea about the number of injured in the post Friday prayers protests. 
Earlier a 29-year-old man Zahoor Ahmad of Beeru in Budgam district was brought to SMHS hospital. He had received bullet wound during clashes between protestors and government forces Friday evening but by the time ambulance reached SMHS he had succumbed to his injuries, hospital sources said.
Clashes were going on in Beeru when reports last came in late in the night. 
Reports of protesters clashing with police and CRPF were received from  Mazhama, Makhama, Chewdara besides Beeru township resulting in injuries to near about 50 people, police sources said.

Another civilian identified as Mohammad Maqbool Khanday was killed during the clashes between protesters and government forces in Chadoora also in Budgam district.
Police sources said that in Lolipora Nagam, falling in Chadoora tehsil, one person Muhammad Maqbool Khanday S/O: Abdul Ghani Khanday received a grievous head injury causing his death.
Police had opened fire to quell the protesting crowds, sources said. The killing of the Maqbool sparked violent protests in the area while according to eyewitnesses pitched battles were raging on the roads in Chadoora township.
Police action also resulted in the injuries to more than 40 civilians.
According to the Block Medical Officer Chadoora the local hospital received 37 injuries of whom four were referred to Srinagar. 
One of them was very critical and he was later rushed to SKIMS Soura. One report said another young man identified as Masood Ahmad, who has received a serious chest injury, was critical in SMHS.
Another unidentified youth, who was injured by pellets in Shopian, was brought to SMHS for advanced treatment.
A late evening report from South Kashmir district of Shopian said the town was witnessing massive protests and clashes and forces were heavily shelling the area to disperse the protestors.
“One youth injured by pellets in head at Meemandar was shifted to sub-district hospital,” police sources said adding SP of the area took the boy to hospital in his own Gypsy despite grave threat to his life.
The boy was later shifted to Srinagar for treatment.
The reports said that clashes were going at Heer pora, Kani Pora, Arkhara, Hillow, Bongam, Bon Bazaar areas in the district.
At PHC Vihal, at least 5 injured persons were injured.
Earlier two peaceful pro-freedom processions were taken out by people including women shortly after the culmination of Friday congregational prayers. Witnesses said thousands of people participated in these processions which culminated at Meemanadar Shopian. Reports said that as the people were returning homes, CRPF personnel resorted to tear-smoke shelling while agitated people pelted stones on them. The intense clashes ended after forces personnel fired volley of bullets in air creating panic in the area. One person, according to eyewitnesses, received critical pellet injuries at Shamsipora Shopian.
Witnesses added that youth was immediately shifted to SKIMS Srinagar for advanced treatment. A police official identified the injured youth as Muhammad Shahid Dar son of Muhammad Shafi a resident of
Shamsipora Shopian. He was injured at Narwa village where intense clashes were reported between forces and protesters. 
Reports from Pattan said at least 20 persons were injured in the day long clashes, six of them with pellet injuries.
In a bid to disperse protesters, police allegedly resorted to aerial firing in Pattan Bazar. 
Witnesses said that  thousands of   people from different areas of Pattan including, Palhallan, Chekesari, Nihalpora, Palpora, Zangam, Sherpora, Ussan, Goshbugh, and Rengee  tried to march towards Pattan town after Friday paryers. 
Tehreek-e-Huriyat Block President Tanveer Ahmed Jeelani was also Injured during clashes.
Series of protests were held and procession taken out in different areas of Ganderbal district including Nunar, Chek Fathepora, Bhadargund, Reshipora, Ganderbal Garage. 
Defying curfew, the protesters crossed police station and when it reached SP office Ganderbal dispersed peacefully after registering anti-India protest. 
Thousands of people also took out a march in Barsoo Ganderbal. The protest march, according to eyewitnesses remained peaceful. 
Intense clashes however erupted between protesters and forces personnel in Kangan. Reports said that large number of people from different hamlets of Kangan including Wusan, Kijipara, Kashnabal, Chatargul and Preng organized a procession and headed towards main town Kangan. After police intervention the situation turned ugly when protesters pelted stones on the forces personnel who retaliated with tear-smoke shelling. Witnesses added that due to clashes several people as well as few cops were wounded.
Protests were also reported from Charar-e-Sharif . Here also the protest march culminated peacefully.
Reports from Kulgam informed that pro-freedom marches were organized in almost every village of the district. “Processions were everywhere. People in thousands participated in them chanting pro-freedom, anti-India slogans,” he said and added that tear-smoke shelling was used to disperse protesters.
Reports from Tral town of Pulwama district said that besides a bikers rally, two separate processions were taken out while youth clashed with police after Friday congregational prayers. Witnesses said that a huge bike rally was organized by youth from Noorpora that ended in Tral town. 
An all women rally was taken out in Bijbehara town after Friday prayers while in Larnoo Kokarnag thousands of people participated in a pro-freedom march. 
In Fateh Pora area of the district, people took out a protest march via Ka’aba Marg up to main chowk Larki Pora. “They burnt down an effigy of CM Mehbooba Mufti,” local sources said. Fateh Pora is last village in the Islamabad constituency.
In Eidgah Ashaji Pora area in the nearby town of Anantnag, people held a massive pro-freedom demonstration. On the other end, another rally was held in Dialgam in which people from adjoining areas participated.
Reports from North Kashmir’s Kupwara said that Police and army from Trehgam moved to Kunan-Poshpora villages to prevent people from marching towards Trehgam. On previous Fridays, the men and women of the twin villages had marched towards Trehgam in protests against the continuous curfew. Strict curfew and restrictions remain imposed in Trehgam, Kupwara, Lalpora, Kralpora, Handwara since the start of current uprising on July 9. Reports said that amid heavy presence of Army, processions were taken out and protests were held in different parts of the district including Thregam, Dragmulla, Muqam Shah-e-Wali, Arampora, Natoosa and Reidbogh.
Eyewitnesses from Sumbal town informed that authorities had called out Army to stop people from marching towards Dargah Hazratbal. “For the first time these days we observed Army along with CRPF patrolling the roads,” they said.
Despite heavy deployed of forces personnel, people from Chandargeer, Hakbara, Sadarkoot, Sodanara and Shahgund areas arrived in Hajin Chowk in the form of procession. When protesters chanted anti-India slogans, forces personnel lobbed tear-gas shelling thus sparking intense clashes between the two. During the clashes at least 12 persons were injured. The clashes according eyewitness continued for hours in the town.
At least six persons suffered pellet injuries when a huge procession from Shadipora was on way towards Sumbal when they were stopped by police. However the protesters attacked the forces with stones. In retaliation forces fired tear-smoke shells and pellets resulting in the injuries of many people. Reports said that six protesters were injured when forces fired pellets and tear-smoke shells near Asham Sumbal. A procession from different areas of Sumbal including Khomina, Markundal, Rakh Asham was on way to Safapora when near Asham police stopped it resulting in the clashes. Reports said that many people suffered pellet injuries.
Massive pro-freedom processions were taken out from different areas of Bandipore district. Witnesses said that people from Kalosa, Nasu, Ajas, Ajar took out processions and assembled at main chowk Bandipora. The forces personnel used tear-smoke shells, however, the protesters showed stiff resistance and clahed with government forces. Tear-smoke shells were also lobbed at protesters at Ajar Bandipora where people organized a pro-freedom march after the culmination of Friday congregational prayers. Several people were injured after Army alleged opened fire on protesters in Kaloosa Bandipora. Reports said that a pro-freedom procession was on way to Bandipora from Watapora. “The protesters pelted stones on the Army camp in Kalosa who retaliated with firing. Several persons were injured in Army action.”
Protests and processions were also reported from Sopore, Handwara, Baramullah, Palhalan, Pattan, and other parts of Kashmir Valley. 
A large number of people from Gangboug area held a massive anti-India protest on city Bypass. 
CRPF according to witnesses lobbed tear-smoke shells resulting in the injuries of many protesters including some women. 
Reports said that as soon as congregational Friday prayers ended, intense pro-freedom protests erupted in Ikhraj Pora area of summer capital. The youth in the area had painted pro-freedom and anti-India graffiti. “There was a peaceful protest going on in the area when police reached the spot and chased away the protestors,” an eye witness said. “Youth resorted to intense stone pelting and reinforcements were called disperse them.”
Reports from HMT Srinagar said that forces personnel retreated from the area after a large number of people attacked them with stones. Despite heavy tear-gas shelling the protesters didn’t budge and continued to attack the forces personnel. 
Witnesses said that intense stone-pelting took place in Usmanabad, Shalateng and HMT Malorra road. Eyewitnesses said that many protesters received pellet injuries during the intense clashes. A long procession was also taken out from Natipora Srinagar. People took out pro-freedom processions in different areas of Srinagar city including Chota Bazaar, Guru Bazar, Aripora, Pantha Chowk. Reports said that more than 35 people including 4 cops were injured in violent clashes between protesters and forces personnel in Narbal and Sozeet area.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.