Tengpora Killing Case:Non-bailable Warrant Against SSP Srinagar for Disobedience


SRINAGAR:A local court here Saturday issued non-bailable warrant against Senior Superintendent of Police, Srinagar, Amit Kumar for  defying orders whereby he was directed to lodge FIR against a Dy SP Shaheed Gunj, Yasir Qadri accused of cold-blooded murder of a youth here in the ongoing unrest.

While rejecting the application on behalf of SSP Srinagar seeking exemption from the personal appearance, the Chief Judicial Magistrate (Srinagar), Masarat Shaheen issued a non-bailable warrant against Kumar. The orders have to be executed through DIG Central Kashmir.

The Court further directed the Chief Prosecuting Officer, who was present in the court, to forward non-bailable warrant to DIG Central Kashmir and file compliance report before the court within two days. The case is listed for Monday.

“The SSP Srinagar is further directed to show cause as to why contempt proceedings shall not be initiated against him for not obeying the court directions, whereby he was directed to lodge FIR and file a copy of the FIR within 24 hours,’’ read the order.

Mir’s parents in an affidavit before the court prayed that the accused officer, Yasir Qadri, shot him dead from point blank range inside their house and in their presence.

According to the application filed by Mir’s father, Abdul Rehman Mir, before the court, a police team led by Yasir Qadri barged into their home and killed Shabir.

“When they (Mir’s family members) were watching television, a police party headed by DSP Qadri barged into the house and started smashing window panes and doors. The wife of the applicant tried to stop the said police officer, but he physically assaulted her. The son (Shabir) could not tolerate the thrashing of his mother and tried to rescue her from the clutches of the police officer. The police officer took out his pistol and fired two shots at him, resulting in his on-the-spot death,” the application reads.

Abdul has also claimed that SHO concerned refused to file the case after his son was killed.

On July 10, at about 7 pm, Shabir Ahmad Mir, a 25-year-old mason, had just returned home after a brief walk on a nearby bund in Tengpora area of Batamaloo locality.

About 10 minutes later, as per the family, five men of J&K Police suddenly came running in from the bund side and barged into his house. They smashed the front windows with batons and broke into the front door. Then they fired teargas shells inside the rooms as they ran upstairs where Shabir’s mother was “slapped and abused”.

When Shabir objected to this ill treatment, he was dragged down from the second floor and shot at downstairs in his abdomen. “He stood up to run a few steps outside his home where he was shot at again,” his father, Abdul Rehman Mir recently told reporters.

The blood stains are still visible on the wall behind their house and on a plinth lining a small kitchen garden where Shabir fell and bled to death after he was shot at twice.

Mir said his son died in his arms.  “For about 15 minutes we kept crying inside our home as no one could come for our help due to the police terror and neither could we go out as my son bled,” he recaps.


Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.