Friday Rage: 100’s Injured in Curfew Bound Valley on Day 21


Srinagar:  Over 100 people, including some policemen, were injured on Friday, the 21st consecutive day of rage in the Kashmir Valley, with reports of widespread protests and subsequent clashes between protesters and the government forces coming in from almost every part of the Vale. 
The protests and clashes erupted even after authorities reimposed curfew across Kashmir to foil Hurriyat call for Jamia Masjid march for congregational Friday prayers. 
Protests were witnessed even in hitherto untouched areas, like high security Gupkar where top pro-India politicians and bureaucrats live.
Hundreds of people marched to the office of the United Nations Observer Group in Gupkar area after Friday prayers. As the procession reached at the gates of the UN building and were about to submit a memorandum to the UN officials, police and paramilitary forces present there sung into action. They resorted to cane charge and lobbed tear smoke shells to disperse the protesters resulting in a clash.
Soon after people came out of the nearby Sufi shrine of Syed Sahab and started raising slogans seeking interference of United Nations in Kashmir.
Police foiled Jamia Masjid programme of the Hurriyat leadership by sealing off the Grand Mosque, disallowing Friday prayers there and by detaining Syed Ali Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq.
Geelani was detained the moment he came out of his Hyderpora residence in defiance of his house arrest.
“As soon as Geelani stepped out of his Hyderpora residence a huge contingent of Police told him he cannot move out and arrested him. Before his arrest, Geelani told media persons “We will not budge even an inch this time as we have already sacrificed nearly sixty dear ones so it is high time for India to accept Kashmir as a dispute and start the process of its resolution.”
Police also detained the moderate Hurriyat leader Mirwaiz Umar Farooq outside his Nageen residence. Mirwaiz also had defied the curbs on him and tried to march towards Jamia Masjid in old city, reports said.
As soon as Mirwaiz stepped out waiting police took him into custody. 
Meanwhile the clashes between forces and protesters erupted at Batamaloo, Chanapora, Nowpora, Bemina and HMT areas of the city while peaceful protesters were also held at scores of places through out the day.
In many city areas including Dalgate and Kohnkhan mosque loudspeakers blared freedom songs for most part of the day.
Residents of different Srinagar localities, including Habakadal, Noorbagh, Eidgah and Chattabal alleged that CRPF went on rampage on Thursday night after mosque loudspeakers began blaring freedom songs.
People took out Mish’aal Bardar (Totch bearing) marches in dozens of old city localities Friday evening.
Residents of Barsoo Ganderbal alleged armed forces barged into several houses during the middle of the night and beat up inmates. “At least 15 people, mostly women were wounded when they were assaulted by CRPF inside their houses. The action sparked spontaneous protests in the area,” reports said.
At least two protesters were injured at Safapora Ganderbal after police resorted to tear-gas shelling to disperse them on Friday. 
Residents had assembled on main Srinagar-Sambal road to stage anti-India protest. Clashes later spread to different areas of the central district leaving at least 13 people including 8 policemen injured. 
Reports said that clashes erupted in Pandach, Mala Bagh,Tulmula, Rangil, Beehama and Chek Fatehpora. 
An Inspector Muhammad Rafiq, SPO of DySP Operations and six other cops were wounded in these clashes. 
Two youth according to eyewitnesses were apprehended by Army men from 5 Rashtriya Rifles when they entered into Kurhama village of Ganderbal. Witnesses said that the duo were relaxing on the shopfront when Army whisked them away. The detention of youth sparked protest in the area.
At least 55 people were injured in violent clashes in Dooru. 
A policeman Ghulam Hasan was injured when a police shell hit him while chasing away protesters. 
Two cops were wounded while one of them received injuries in face after protesters hurled a petrol bomb towards them at Chowalgam Kulgam. A police official identified the injured cops as Rizwan Ahmed Baba and Muhammad Rafiq Bodha.
At least six CRPF personnel were injured in clashes at Qazigund. During the clashes SHO Manzoor Ahmed and SDPO Qazigund Khalid Ahmed were also wounded. Two civilians Irshad Ahmed Dar and Muhammad Asif were wounded when agitated protesters clashed with armed forces at Muhammadpora Kulgam. 
Reports said that among the four injured one was referred to District Hospital Anantnag after pellets hit his eyes at Koimouh  Wanpuh area of Kulgam district. 
Meanwhile peaceful processions were taken out in Yaripora and Yesu Ashmoji Kulgam.
At Adjan Kulgam a pro-freedom procession was taken out that was led by separatist leader Abdul Samad Inqilabi. 
Hospital sources from South Kashmir said that more than 80 protesters including some police officers were wounded in violent clashes in different parts of Kulgam and Anantnag on Friday. 
Nocturnal protests erupted in many parts of South Kashmir last night..  Residents of Anantnag town staged a candle light last evening. Reports of similar protests were received from Dooru Anantnag area. 
Stone-pelting incidents were also reported from Sangam, Bijbehara and Kokarnag area of Anantnag district.
In Pulwama district people held late evening protests against the civilian killings.They  marched through localities in peripheries of Pulwama.
A peaceful protest rally was held in over 100 vehicles which included bikes, cars and tippers in Nehama, Pampore across Wanpora, Parigam, Larve, Marvel, Khadermoh and Sathar. The rally peacefully returned to the village but armed forces according to reports resorted to tear-smoke shelling creating panic in the area.
Clashes also erupted at Haal and Bellow in Pulwama.  
At Ladiyar Tral at least 7 protesters were injured in clashes with government forces. Locals alleged that CRPF damaged the windowpanes of more than 12 residential houses without any provocation. 
A procession was taken out from Daral-uloom Tral. The protesters clashed with police and pelted stones. Police retaliated with tear-smoke shells. The clashes continued for hours there. 
Reports said that angry protesters attacked CRPF camp at Tahab Pulwama leading to violent clashes between the protesters and armed forces. 
In Shopian district a procession emerged from Wahil village that reportedly attacked an Army camp located at Chowdary Gund. The protesters pelted stones on the Army camp while in retaliation the paramilitary forces present there fired tear-smoke shells to disperse the protesters.
Protesters also ransacked a bunker of 44 RR in Shopian.
Like all the districts of Kashmir region Bandipore also reeled under curfew on Friday. 
Defying curfew people shortly after Friday congregational prayers took out processions in the town. 
The protesters amid pro-freedom and anti-India slogans demanded stern punishment to the armed forces personnel responsible for killing of innocent civilians from past two weeks.
Two DySP-level officers among eight policemen were injured at Hajin in Bandipore district during clashes while four civilians were also hurt. 
At Sumbal also in Bandipore, people staged peaceful protests after Friday prayers.
In Baramulla, the clashes broke out at Sheeri, Sopore, Sangrama, Old Town and Palhallan. At Kanispora, the SOG ruthlessly thrashed a hawker namely Abdul Rashid Rather and later he was hospitalized.
Clashes erupted in different parts of Pattan town including Hanjivera. Authorities had imposed strict curfew in the town however people defied curfew and clashed with the police.
A police official said that an old building of SDPO office was set on fire by a mob in Rafiabad Baramulla. 
Intense clashes were also reported from Kuligam and Lalpora Lolab area of Kupwara district.   
In Kupwara, three persons were injured when army opened fire on protesters at Gushi village. Sources identified the injured as Irshad Bhat, Faisal Sofi and Shahid Nazir Parray. 
While Irshad and Faisal are stated to be critical, Shahid’s condition was said to be stable. Four other persons also sustained injuries during clashes in Gushi. The protesters at Kralpora stoned police station and police responded by firing teargas.
Peaceful protests were held at Trehgam, Batargam, Kunanposhpora, Muqam Shah Wali, Nathnoosa, Redbogh and other areas of Kupwara district. 
The protests were also held at Handwara.
While protests were reported from various parts of the district including Beeru, Khansahab and Charar-e-Sharif, a massive pro-freedom procession was taken out after Friday prayers fromCentral Imam Bargah of the town.
The procession, which culminated at town square, was led by Hurriyat leader Agha Syed Hassan Al- Mosavi.
A police spokesman in the evening said a strict curfew will remain in Anantnag, Kulgam, Shopian and Pulwama districts while restrictions will continue in parts of Srinagar, Kupwara, Sopore and Baramulla.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.