Scores Injured In Fresh Clashes In Kashmir, Youth Critical

SRINAGAR: At least eight persons including a lady sustained bullet and pellet injuries on Sunday when security forces fired upon a group of protestors who allegedly tried to attack an army camp at Saderkoot, Bala, in Bandipora.

“The injured were shifted to SKIMS, Soura where the condition of one of the injured youth is stated to be critical,” witnesses said. The situation in the area was tense as massive protests against the forces’ firing.

Strict curfew remained in place across Kashmir for the ninth consecutive day on Sunday.

At least 45 persons have died in the forces’ firing over the past nine days following the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani on July 8.

The government has already snapped mobile internet and phone services across Kashmir in the wake of the public uprising following killing of popular Hizb commander Burhan Wani.

All the major roads across the valley had been sealed off with concertina wires by the forces and nobody was allowed to come out of their houses.

On Saturday the government led by Mehbooba Mufti which is backed by the BJP imposed a blanket ban on the publication of local newspapers, including Kashmir Observer. The state has already snapped internet and mobile phone services. This despite a life crippling curfew that is in force since July 9.

The death toll with this fresh killing has surged to 46 including a policeman who was drowned after protestors pushed his vehicle into river Jehlum and two civilians who died as a result of drowning after being chased by security forces.

Some 3000 persons, including several hundred, security personnel have been injured in the bloody clashes during the past eight days.

Elsewhere, skirmishes between protestors and security forces continued throughout the day across all the districts of the valley. Security personnel resorting to severe cane charging could be seen chasing the protestors.

Strict curfew was in place in old Srinagar while people moved freely in civil lines areas, however, shops and business establishments remained shut.

The situation in South Kashmir remained relatively peaceful as according to reports strict curfew was in place.
A police official described the overall situation as ‘peaceful’ in almost all the parts of Kashmir Valley.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.