Saudi Arabia says it is still reviewing the deaths of thousands of people nine months after a deadly crush during Hajj near the holy city of Mecca.
We already studied that and we are continuing to study this, Minister of Hajj Mohammed Bentin said on the sidelines of a press conference in the Red Sea city of Jeddah on Tuesday.
“God willing, well have many preventive measures and procedures that…will not repeat what happened last time,” he said.
The crush of last year occurred after two large masses of pilgrims converged at a crossroads in Mina during the symbolic ceremony of the stoning of Satan in Jamarat on September 24, 2015.
Saudi Arabia claims nearly 770 people were killed in the incident, but Iranian officials say about 4,700 people lost their lives in the tragedy.
The number of the Iranian fatalities is at least 464, exceeding that of other countries.
Following the disaster, Saudi King Salman even praised Saudi authorities for holding a successful Hajj.
Saudi Arabia has come under harsh criticism over its handling of the Mina incident.
The tragedy came days after a massive construction crane collapsed into Meccas Grand Mosque, killing more than 100 people and leaving over 200 others wounded.
According to the figures released by Irans Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization, 11 Iranian pilgrims were among the deceased and 32 of the injured were also Iranian nationals.
Iran says Riyadhs incompetence in handling safety at the rituals caused the deadly incident.
Be Part of Quality Journalism
Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.