When police failed to ‘persuade’ Yasin Malik at Kothi Bagh Police Station

Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir Police tried its best to persuade senior separatist leader and Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front Chairman, Muhammad Yasin Malik to “soften” his stand over agitation against controversies including proposed establishment of Sainik Colony and construction of separate-township for migrants but the “counseling failed.”

Highly placed sources said Malik was detained following his “active involvement in lobbying in the separatist camps for campaign against the land rows and erosion of Article 370.”

Malik, who was taken into police custody from his Abi Guzar office on May 25, was whisked away straight to Kothi Bagh Police Station where he remained behind the bars for five days.

Sources said during the detention, when he was denied interaction with visitors, the police top brass tried to persuade him to “mellow down his tone”. “A beeline of officials called on him (Malik) and tried to persuade him from time to time, but he (Malik) didn’t budge an inch from his stand,” the sources said.

They said the last meeting was held on Saturday when finally an official of the rank of Inspector General of Police called on the detained separatist leader in a last bid for reconciliation.

“But as he declined to   buy any police pleas, the next morning he was sent Central Jail Srinagar,” the sources said.

By the time IGP called on Malik, the latter had moved Court.

On May 28, Malik wrote a letter to Chief Justice of Jammu and Kashmir High Court wherein he had complained that he was arrested and that it has become a routine for the government authorities to regularly put him behind the bars without following the due procedure of law.

Subsequently the Jammu and Kashmir High Court on Monday directed the government to disclose within a day the law and authority under which he was detained for five days in a police station here.     

A bench of Justice Ramalingam Sudhakar ordered the state government to disclose by Tuesday the law and authority under which Malik was detained at Kothi Bagh police station.      

The Chief Justice while treating Malik’s letter as “habeas corpus” petition directed for listing it before the bench of Justice Ramalingam Sudhakar.     

Earlier a spokesman of JKLF had said that Malik was sent to Srinagar central jail after he was kept at Kothi Bagh police station for five days and not presented before any court or magistrate.  


Follow this link to join our WhatsApp group: Join Now

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.