3 cops shot dead in broad day light


Srinagar:  Three Kashmir policemen were killed by suspected Hizbul Mujahideen militants in two separate shoot-and-run attacks on Monday, tearing through a lull in Srinagar that last witnessed such a strike three years ago.
According to the police sources, two motorcycle-borne assailants opened fire from a point-blank range at two “unarmed” policemen in the old Srinagar city.
The policemen, the sources said, were regulating traffic at a busy crossing near the crowded Zadibal area, some 10 km from the city centre Lal Chowk. The crossing leads to the only multispecialty hospital, SKIMS, of Srinagar and is usually crowded throughout the day.
Assistant sub-inspector  Ghulam Mohammad Bhat and Head Constable Nazir Ahmed were shot in their heads. They were taken to the hospital where they were declared brought dead, the sources said.
Barely an hour later, militants struck again and shot dead a policeman in the upscale Tengpora area, some five km from the city centre.
The attackers ran away with the dead cop’s service rifle, a police officer said.
The policeman, who was guarding an unnamed politician, received severe gunshot wounds and was taken to a hospital where he succumbed, the officer said.
Pakistan-administered Kashmir based militant outfit, Hizbul Mujahideen, has claimed responsibility for the twin attacks that comes nearly three years after militants killed two policemen on June 22, 2013, at the crowded Hari Singh High Street market – the city’s main business hub near Lal Chowk.
Hizbul Mujahideen spokesperson Burhanuddin called a local news agency and said the outfit had carried out the attacks on Monday.
The attacks in Srinagar city are the first major strikes carried out by militants after the Mehbooba Mufti-led Peoples Democratic Party and Bharatiya Janata Party formed a coalition government in the state last month.
Security officials said they had intelligence inputs that militants were planning to strike in Srinagar in the wake of increasing incursion attempts from across the border during summer months in the Kashmir Valley .
“(The) army, police, and other agencies are fully prepared. We won’t let these terrorists succeed,” Satish Dua, GOC 15 Corps, told the media here.
Dua described the deaths of policemen as “unfortunate” and sought “to assure that the army, police, and CRPF are ready to face such threats”.
Frisking intensified
In the wake of the killings of three policemen by militants, Jammu and Kashmir Police have intensified frisking across Srinagar.
According to the witnesses, the frisking reminded them of the early 90’s when militancy was at its peak and the cops would flag down buses and ask the passengers to get down.
Two-wheelers bore the most brunt as they were ones searched minutely. “At times, the cops’ behaviour was awfully indecent,” said a biker

Follow this link to join our WhatsApp group: Join Now

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.