LAHORE: At least 23 people have died and dozens of others fell ill in Punjab after eating sweets which police suspect were tainted with pesticides, officials said Monday.
Umar Hayat, a resident of the Karor Lal Esan area in Punjab province, bought the baked confectionery on April 17 to distribute among friends and family after the birth of his grandson.
But their celebrations turned out to be short-lived when ten people died on the same day.
The death toll from consumption of the sweets has now risen to 23, and 52 people are still being treated at various hospitals, local police official Munir Ahmed told AFP on Monday.
He said the dead included the baby boys father and seven of his uncles.
Rameez Bukhari, a senior police officer from the district, confirmed the incident, adding three people two brothers who run the bakery and a worker had been arrested.
The worker may have inadvertently added pesticide to the sweet mix.
There was a pesticide shop close by which was being renovated, and the owner had left his pesticides at the bakery for safe keeping, said Bukhari.
A baker may have used a small packet in the sweet mixture, he said, but added that police were awaiting the results of laboratory testing.
Pakistan has poor food safety standards and hygiene laws are rarely implemented.
Be Part of Quality Journalism
Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.