Lolab encounter claims 3 militants


Srinagar: Three unidentified militants were killed in an encounter at Lolab sector of north Kashmir’s Kupwara district on Thursday morning.
According to a senior police officer, a joint team of army’s 28 RR and SOG cordoned off the forest area near Gujjarpati (B) hamlet of Putshahi area in the frontier district following specific information about the presence of some militants.
The forces, as such, intensified the cordon-and-search operation and fired several warning shots towards the suspected spot, he said, adding that the militants hiding in the area opened fire, triggering off an encounter.
“During the encounter three militants have been killed,” he said, while adding that their identities could not be immediately ascertained. “03 AK 47 Rifles, 03 UBGL, 387 AK 47 Rounds, 10 AK 47 Magzines, 03 Pouches, 03 Bags, 03 Trousers (Water proof), and 40 Biscuit Packets were recovered from the encounter site”, the officer said.
A Case FIR number 21/16 under section 307 RPC, 7/27 I.A Act has been registered in this regard, he said. After completion of legal formalities, the bodies were handed over to Local Auqaf of Village Pothushahi for burial, the officer added.
Meanwhile, hundreds of people late today afternoon participated in the funeral of three militants and were laid to rest amid pro-freedom slogans.

Militants break free forces’ cordon, leave behind cache of arms
Srinagar: A group of militants on Thursday afternoon broke forces’ cordon and managed to escape in Pulwama district of south Kashmir during a cordon and search operation.
Official sources said that acting on a tip off, a joint team of army’s 55 RR, SOG and CRPF launched cordon-and-search operation at Bulbul Bagh area of Malwar village of Zadur in the southern district.
“Soon after the joint team of forces reached near the suspected spot the militants hiding in the area opened fire upon them and managed to break the forces cordon,” they said.
As the forces intensified the combing operation in Zadur and its adjacent areas to trace out the fleeing militants, the local youth in large numbers gathered near the site and clashed with the police and paramilitary forces.
The police and paramilitary CRPF troopers who were deployed in the area chased the youth and used tear smoke shells to disperse them. However, they hurled stones upon the forces resulted in clashes. “At least six youth were injured in forces action,” said the sources.
SP Pulwama Mohammad Rayees Bhat while confirming the incident told GNS that “our cops were on a routine search when they came under fire from militants in Malwari area of Pulwama”. No one was injured, he said.
The suspected militants are believed to have fled from the spot but police and other forces have launched intense search operations in the area, the officer said, adding that they have launched intense searches to nab the fleeing militants. The officer also said that a cop and five CRPF troopers sustained injuries in stone-pelting clashes.
Meanwhile, an army spokesperson in a statement issued here said that the forces have recovered a cache of war like stores including ammunition and grenades during a search operation in the area.

3 LeT militants held in SIT raid: Police
Srinagar: Police on Thursday claimed to have arrested three Lashkar-e-Toiba militants in city here with arms and ammunitions.
According  police officer told news agency GNS that a police party from Special Investigation Team (SIT) Rajbagh following a tip off, conducted a raid near LD hospital last evening and apprehended three LeT militants.
The officer identified the arrested militant as Ubaid Untoo son of Tariq Ahmad Untoo of Kralteng, Sopore, Yawar Muzaffar Bhat son of Muzaffar Ahmad Bhat of Bhatpora, Sopore and Altaf Hussain Lone son of Abdul Hamid Lone of Kalaroos Kupwara.
The officer said that Ubaid is believed to have provided a grenade to the Pakistani prisoner Wahid Noor Khan in Sopore court. Wahid Noor Khan later died in mysterious grenade blast inside the police van which was ferrying him from Sopore court to Srinagar, besides injuring six cops on June 20 last year.
“A 9 mm pistol, 2 magazines, 6 rounds, four hand grenades and a GPS device was also recovered from the arrested trio”, the officer said.
He said that a case under FIR number 23/2016 under section 7/25 I A Act has been registered in police station Rajbagh and further investigations taken up.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.