Mother rejects video, says daughter forced to make statement


SRINAGAR: The family of minor Handwara girl, who was allegedly molested by an army soldier earlier this week, rejected the video statement in which the victim had denied molestation bid by any security personnel, saying “She deposed under immense police pressure.”
Pertinent to mention here that army had on April 12 released a video of the girl in which she had denied harassment by any soldier and instead accused the local youth of abusing and humiliating her. Nullifying the statement made by her daughter, the mother of victim in a fresh video released on Saturday asserted “whatever she has claimed in the video is false, she made the statement under police pressure”.
The video was circulated by victims’ relatives to media who appeared at Press enclave this afternoon and insisted to unmask the perpetrators who besides attempting to tarnish the chastity of a minor school girl showered bullets on innocent people.
Victim’s mother who has covered her face in the video further asserted that the youth who fell to army and police bullets could not bear inhuman act (molestation) against their Muslim sister resorted to stone pelting to give vent to their anger.
“They (youth) were martyred I really feel sad about them as they too are my children, I want the matter to be investigated by some credible agency and not by the police or army who claimed innocent lives,” she said.
Recalling the day of incident she said that her minor daughter as usual went to school on 12th of April and left for home at 3.30pm in the evening. “On way to home my minor daughter went to bathroom to relieve her while an army man suddenly appeared before her and tried to molest her, on seeing this she started yelling to catch the attention of local shopkeepers and passerby,” added she.
She claimed that people started shouting anti army slogans and the situation turned rowdy moments after the victim narrated incident to them. “Army men who attempted to molest my daughter disappeared in thin air.”
“In the meantime police came to the spot and arrested victim, since then there is no information about her, we received a call from police station at 1pm in the night and were asked to take our daughter back,’’ she said, adding my husband and sister went to police station however they too were arrested.
She said that five days have already elapsed but she has no information about the trio “my husband once called me and said he is fine, but since then I don’t have any information about them, I want them to be released without any further delay.”
On girls detention she said “police cannot keep a minor girl in police station after 6 pm and how far is this genuine to take her outside state without consent of her parents, we have to live in the society, they tarnished my daughters image.”
She claimed that they also approached court to ascertain the whereabouts of their daughter and to punish the guilty police and army men for showering bullets on protesters. CNS

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.