Killing Spree Continues


SRINAGAR: A teenage youth has been killed in Natsuna village in Kupwara district on Friday afternoon, while three more have been referred to Srinagar hospital.

According to the reports reaching here, Indian troops opened fire on a group of protestors in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district this afternoon. It was not immediately ascertained whether the latest deaths took place due to the bullet injuries or tear canisters as authorities have blocked all access routes to Handwara and Kupwara.

With this fresh killing, the death toll has risen to five ever since Handwara erupted following the alleged molestation of a schoolgirl by an Indian army soldier.   

According to the BMO Kupwara, Dr Fareed, the youth identified as Arif Ahmad Dar son of Ghulam Mohammad Dar of Awoora, Kupwara died in the hospital.

“Arif had received bullets in the upper part of the legs,” Dr Fareed said.

He said that three other injured have been referred to SMHS in Srinagar. “They too have received bullets in legs and all of them are stable,” he said.

Two of the injured have been identified as Amir Ahmad Sheikh of Nutnussa, Danish Ahmad Sheikh of Wadipora.

The killing sparked massive protests in the area while hundreds of people took to streets and staged a massive anti-India protest. Locals said that shortly after Friday prayers, scores of youth tried to take out a march to protest Handwara killings. Some agitated youth resorted to stone-pelting and attacked Army camp of 47 Rashtriya Rifles. “The army opened fire on the protesters spreading panic in the area. At least five protesters received bullet injuries among which a youth Muhammad Arif Dar a resident of Avora Kupwara succumbed to his injuries after he was shifted to Handwara hospital.

   Another witness said that protesters tried to bring down the Indian flag from the pole located outside Army camp. “Army suddenly opened fire on the protesters,” they said. The deceased youth Muhammad Arif according to locals had arrived in the village to meet his maternal uncle Muhammad Sultan Sheikh. 

Reports said that another youth Asif Rasool Dar of Natnusa Kupwara is also critical in the hospital. Hospital sources identified some of the injured youth as Danish Ahmed Sheikh son of Abdul Qayoom of Wadpora and Amir Sultan Sheikh of Natnusa village.

Meanwhile amid restrictions in Srinagar city and curfew in Handwara, Kashmir witnessed a spontaneous shutdown on day four against the killings of four civilians in Northern parts of Valley.

Nayeem Ahmed Bhat, Jahangir Ahmed, Muhammad Iqbal and Raja Begum had died after violent clashes between government forces and people after an Army man allegedly molested a minor girl in Handwara town on April 12 this month.

Meanwhile authorities imposed restrictions throughout the Srinagar city by erecting barricades and blocking entry points by concertina wire amid huge deployment of forces on roads and streets. However, the deployment couldn’t deter people from taking huge processions in solidarity with the people of Handwara.  In Chenab Valley people staged a protest in Kishtwar against these killings. The protest march was led by Imam Jamia Masjid Farooq Ahmed Kitchloo.

All the shops, business establishments and educational institutes remained shut in Srinagar while traffic also remained off the roads. Reports said that the area’s which usually witness least impact of shutdown calls also observed complete shutdown. These include Raj Bagh, Jawahar Nagar, Mehjoor Nagar, Sonawar, Rambagh and other parts of the city.


Kashmir Police SI killed my nephew: Uncle

Sopore: Absolving Army from the killing of 19-year-old budding cricketer Nayeem Qadir Bhat, his family Friday claimed that he was killed by a police man who is posted in the town from past 10 years.

 “I am the witness of this killing. I don’t know who killed other three people but Nayeem was killed by an Ikhwani turned cop Muhammad Rafiq (Assistant Sub Inspector) in front of my eyes. This is what I have told District Magistrate Kupwara and the same I am repeating to you,” Muhammad Ali, the maternal uncle of slain youth told Srinagar based newsagency, CNS.

The 19-year-old Nayeem Bhat was killed in a firing by Government forces in this volatile north Kashmir town as protestors clashed with police over an alleged molestation bid by an army man on 12 April this month.

Muhammad Ali said, “I along with ‘Nanha’ (nick name of Nayeem Ahmed Bhat) had gone to market to purchase vegetables when the town was already on boil. After walking a distance, an Assistant Sub Inspector Muhamamd Rafiq (99/H ExK901857) stopped us. This cop is posted in Handwara from past 10 years. The cop was carrying non-lethal weapon (tear-gas gun) which he directed towards us. When I objected and told him why he is targeting us, he snatched the rifle from his colleague and directly fired upon Nayeem. I am the witness and can easily identify the killer cop,” he said adding shortly after pumping bullets into the body of Nayeem, he lost his conscience and later on found large number of people surrounding the body of his nephew.

 “It will be extremely unfair if we will absolve that killer cop and blame Army for the death of my beloved nephew,” Muhammad Ali said.

The brother of Nayeem Ahmed who is a police constable did not speak due to the visible shock. “The brother of the slain youth is himself a policeman who was seriously injured during an encounter in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district recently,” a family member pointing towards cop (brother of slain youth) told CNS.

Meanwhile the locals from Handwara said that they will continue to protest till all the three Army bunkers from the town are not removed. They alleged these Army bunkers are the source of nuisance. The locals alleged that instead of taking action against the ‘killers’ police have registered cases against scores of youth on the town. “All these FIR’s should be withdrawn. If administration did not do so, we will continue to protest,” locals said.


ASI suspended for ‘killing’ cricketer

Handwara: Jammu Kashmir Police Friday suspended an assistant sub-inspector for mishandling the law and order situation in Handwara where four people were killed in firing by Government forces.

Pertinently the family members have accused the suspended cop of killing budding cricketer Nayeem Ahmed Bhat. The maternal uncle of the slain youth has revealed how the said police directly fired upon Nayeem killing him in cold blood.

A police order vide number 158 of 2016 issued by Superintendent of Police Handwara reads, “due to prevailing situation in town Handwara, some allegations have been brought to the notice of police against Assistant Sub-Inspector Muhammad Rafiq (99/H ExK901857) which tentamounts to his carelessness on his part, who being disciplined force. Keeping in view, ASI, Muhammad Rafiq is hereby placed under suspension with immediate effect, who shall report to DPL Handwara forthwith. He shall deposit all Government items/uniform articles in DPL stores Handwara,” the police order according to CNS reads.

 “Meanwhile a departmental enquiry is hereby ordered to be conducted against ASI Rafiq and is entrusted to DySP DAR Handwara for its finalization under rules,” the order reads.


Police statement on Kupwara killing–Verbatim

There were massive violent protests in Handwara and Kupwara areas today. The mobs attacked the police and security force establishments and deployments.

More than 40 police men and security force men were injured. Despite severe provocations the deployment on ground exercised maximum restraint. However, at one place Natnusa in Kupwara the mob tried to enter the forces camp and the Army had to resort to firing in which one person lost his life.

The incidents of pelting were reported from Mir Mohalla, Hyhama Chowk, Kralpora in Kupwara, Kralgund, Magam in Handwara and Cement Bridge, Baramulla as well.

We appeal the public to maintain calm and not to resort to violence and attack security forces and police establishments.


No prayers in historic Jamia Masjid

No Friday prayers could be offered in the historic Jamia Masjid in the Shehar-e-Khas (SeK), where authorities had imposed restrictions to prevent any demonstration against the killing of four people, including a woman in security force action in the frontier district of Kupwara.

However, prayers passed off peacefully at Hazratbal shrine, which houses the Holyrelic of Prophet Muhammad, where some separatists were taken into preventive custody after they raised” pro-freedom” and anti security force slogans.


Schools ordered shut in Kupwara

The Kupwara administration had decided to close down all the schools and colleges in view of the tense situation from the last four days due to civilian killings.

DC Kupwara Kumar Rajiv Ranjan said that the schools and colleges will be shut today. Four civilians have been killed in the district in two days this week, and the situation continues to be tense


Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.