Kashmir shuts for 5th consecutive day over Handwara killings


Srinagar: Kashmir observed a shutdown to mourn the civilian killings for the fifth consecutive day on Saturday. Shops, business establishments and educational institutions remained shut while skeletal movement of traffic was observed on road.  

Authorities had imposed strict restrictions in the areas falling under seven police stations in Srinagar that include MaharajGunj, Nowhatta, Khanyar, Rainawari, SafaKadal, Kralkhud and Maisuma. Rolls of concertina wires were placed on roads to ensure no protests take place. In a bid to maintain law and order and restore normalcy authorities had also imposed curfew in different parts of frontier district Kupwara.

According to a police official barring few incidents of stone-pelting the overall situation across Kashmir remained peaceful. Stone-pelting incidents were reported from different parts of Kupwara district including Thregam, Kralpora, Bumhama, Natnusa, Dragmulla and Handwara. Police used some tear-smoke shells to disperse the protesters who took to roads to protest against civilian killings. Three protesters were injured in Thregam while a protester suffered injuries at Drugmulla during clashes with police.

At Natnusa where a civilian was killed on Friday in Army firing, large number of people including females took to roads and amid massive pro-freedom demonstration, demanded the immediate removal of Army camp stationing army personnel from 47 Rashtriya Rifles. Agitated youth resorted to stone-pelting, however, police exercised maximum restraint and did not retaliate.

Agitated protesters set an abandoned police post on fire in Naidkhai area of Hajin town. Angry youths clashed with police, however, police exercised restraint and didn’t retaliate.

Police have to use tear-smoke shells in Barus area of Central Kashmir’s Ganderbal district when scores of youth resorted to massive stone-pelting in the area. The intense clashes between protesters and police continued for hours there.   

Meanwhile, Hurriyat Conference (G) chairman Syed Ali Geelani continued to remain under house arrest at his Hyderpora residence, Hurriyat Conference (M) chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was under house detention at his Nigeen residence. The JKLF chief Muhammad Yasin Malik, who was detained on April 10, has been lodged in police station Kothibagh along with other Front leaders that include Noor Muhammad Kalwal, Bashir Kashmiri and others. JKLF vice chairman ShowkatBakshi has also been placed under house arrest. Hurriyat Conference JK leader Shabir Dar is also in police station Kothibagh.

Hurriyat (G) senior leaders Muhammad Ashraf Sehrai, Peer Saifullah, Altaf Shah, Ayaz Akbar, Muhammad Ashraf Laya and many others are also under house arrest. Senior separatist leader Shabir Shah continues to languish in police station Rajbagh since past many weeks while National Front chairman Nayeem Ahmed Khan too has been placed under house arrest since April 5. Separatist leader Muhammad Ahsan Untoo was shifted to police station Khanyar after he was detained on Friday and was lodged in Saddar police station.

The Hurriyat (M) leaders Advocate Shahidul Islam and Javaid Ahmed Mir are also under house arrest while another senior leader Mukhtar Ahmed Waza has been lodged in police station Potkhah.


Kargil expresses shock over innocent killings

Imam Khomeini Memorial Trust (IKMT) Kargil Saturday denounced the innocent killings in Kashmir. Addressing a press conference here, chairman IKMT, Sheikh Muhammad Hussain Lutfi said that on behalf of the people of Kargil, IKMT strongly condemn the spate of killings of innocent people of Kashmir following the April 12 incident in Handwara.

 “IKMT expresses deep shock and grief on the recent killings of five persons in Valley and express sympathies with the bereaved families and victims. The people of Kargil express heartfelt sympathy with the people of Kashmir and stand with them to deplore the inhuman incident. IKMT appeals Government of India and the State Government to investigate these killings through independent judicial committee and book the culprits under law.  “We earnestly hope that peace and normalcy shall be immediately restored in the Valley,” Lutfi said.



Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.