DC Kupwara tasked with Handwara probe


Divisional Commissioner Kashmir, Dr. Asgar Hassan Samoon on Thursday asked Deputy Commissioner Kupwara to carry out a time-bound probe of the Handwara firing incident which claimed four lives.
He said this while reviewing the law and order situation in the valley following the Handwara incident.
The meeting was attended by DIG Central Range Kashmir G.H.Bhat, DC Srinagar Dr. Farooq Ahmad Lone, Deputy Commissioners of Kashmir division through video conferencing and SDM East Srinagar.
The Deputy Commissioners briefed the Divisional Commissioner about overall security situation in the valley.
He was informed that situation is overall peaceful and required deployment of forces has been made at sensitive places.
On the occasion Divisional Commissioner asked DC Kupwara to carryout time-bound probe of the Handwara incident.
Dr. Samoon while stressing the need for maintaining vigilance directed the police officials to strictly adhere to SOPs in their respective districts and ensure that there is no loss of life or property while maintaining law and order.
He further directed the administration to remain present at their offices and maintain close liaison with the police.

Handwara roundup

  • Mobile Internet services like WhatsApp were not available in Srinagar, Kupwara, Baramulla, Bandipora and Ganderbal districts of the Valley this morning.
  • Four persons have been killed in clashes between protesters and security forces in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district since Tuesday.
  • The protests erupted after locals alleged that a soldier had tried to molest a school girl in Handwara town.
  • To refute the allegation, the army released a video of the girl’s statement yesterday. In it, she does not talk about molestation by any soldier but says a boy grabbed her bag, pulled her and abused her when she went to the washroom after school on Tuesday.
  • The police say security forces opened fire when some 500 protesters surrounded the main army post, started throwing stones and tried to burn it.
  • Nayeem Butt, a promising cricketer, 70-year-old Raja Begum and Mohammad Iqbal, 21, were killed in the firing.
  • Another man died in Kupwara after being hit on the head by a tear gas shell.
  • A curfew was imposed in Srinagar, Handwara and neighboring villages to check the escalation of violence.
  • Shortly after Nayeem’s burial, clashes broke out as villagers defied the curfew and threw rocks at security men who responded by firing tear gas. The clashes took place even as shops and schools were closed and streets deserted due to the security lockdown and a daylong strike call by separatist groups.
  • Mehbooba Mufti, who recently took over as Chief Minister, said the killings would have”negative impact” on her government’s peace efforts in the region.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.