Another youth killed as Kashmir simmers against civilian killings


Srinagar: Kashmir remained tense yesterday as one more youth was killed in fresh clashes between protesters and security forces in the Valley amid curfew-like restrictions imposed in view of the disquiet following the death of three civilians in firing by Army yesterday.
Kashmir Valley witnessed a complete shutdown to protest against the killings of three people in firing by security forces at Handwara in Kupwara district. The three were killed after security forces opened fire on a mob protesting against the alleged molestation of a school girl by Army personnel in Handwara.
All shops and business establishment were shut and public transport was also off the roads. 
An Assistant Sub-Inspector of Jammu and Kashmir Police was today suspended for “mishandling” of the law and order situation in north Kashmirs Handwara town where two youth and a woman were killed and four injured in firing by Army yesterday after allegations that a girl was molested by a soldier (rpt) by a soldier.
Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti, who is in Delhi on her maiden visit after assuming the charge, raised the matter with Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar who assured her that a probe will be conducted and the culprits punished.
Describing the firing incident as “very unfortunate”, she said, “Such incidents should not happen in the future.”
She said the families of the victims will be compensated.
Northern Army Commander Lt General D S Hooda visited the affected area in Handwara and pushed for early completion of probe into the killing of three civilians yesterday. He termed the incident as “highly regrettable”.
Meanwhile, one more youth was killed when security forces fired teargas shells to quell protesters, raising to four the toll in the clashes between protesters and security forces since yesterday. The youth, identified as Jehangir Ahmad Wani, died after being hit by a teargas shell in the head during protests in Drugmulla, about 95 kms from here, over yesterdays deaths.
imposed curfew-like restrictions in six police station areas of Srinagar city and Handwara area of Kupwara in north Kashmir, a police official said.
He said restrictions Wani was taken to a hospital, where doctors declared him brought dead, a police official said. Two others were injured in clashes with security forces.
A woman Raja Begum (55) who was injured in the firing yesterday, succumbed at a hospital this morning, making the death toll in yesterdays clashes three.
Protests were today reported from a number of other places as well even as authorities were imposed in Rainawari, Maharajgunj, Nowhatta, Khanyar, Safakadal and Maisuma police station are and as of Srinagar as a precautionary measure in view of apprehensions of laworder problems.
However, the official said, in view of Baisakhi festival, movement of members of Sikh community was allowed.


Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.