Hizb militant killed in Pulwama gunfight


SRINAGAR: A Hizbul Mujahideen militant was killed in an ongoing gunfight that raged at Gudoora area of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district Tuesday afternoon while 10 persons have been injured in stone-throwing clashes.

According to the official sources the encounter raged after joint team of Army’s 55 RR, SOG and CRPF cordoned off the Gudoora village following specific information about the presence of some militants in the area.

“Soon after the joint team of forces intensified the cordon-and-search operation and fired several warning shots towards the suspected spot, the officer said, adding that the militants hiding inside the area opened fire triggering off an encounter,” they said, The sources said that in the exchange of fire one local militant has been killed.

Senior Superintendent of police (SP) Pulwama Rayees Mohammad Bhat while confirming the killing of a local militant and said that the operation has been suspended till night.

He identified the slain militant as Bilal Ahmad Bhat of Kareemabad.

Meanwhile, hundreds of people clashed with government forces near encounter spot and other adjoining villages of Gudoora after the outbreak of the encounter. Eyewitnesses said that hundreds of people tried to march towards the encounter spot in order to give a safe passage to trapped militants.

However, they said, the additional contingents of police and CRPF intercepted them triggering clashes between the two sides at Gadoora. The pro-militant protesters also clashed with forces at Kakapora, Kareemabad and Murran chowk in which 10 persons, five of whom were shifted to hospital, sustained injuries.

 Meanwhile, militants this evening managed to flee forces cordon in Dardpora area of Lolab in north Kashmir’s Kupwara after engaging government forces in a gunfight for several hours, official sources said here.

The sources said that following the gunfight which raged in forest area near Jindyal hamlet of village Dardpora in the frontier district the militants – who were believed to be two to three in number – exchanged gunfire intermittently with forces. However this evening they managed to break the military cordon and escaped.

Earlier, the army’s 28 RR cordoned off the forest area near Jindyal hamle after receiving information about the presence of some militants. The forces as such intensified the cordon-and-search operation and fired several warning shots towards the suspected spot which was returned by militants, triggering the encounter.

In the meanwhile, a live hand grenade was found near a Nallah in Kralpora area of Kupwara district, which was later defused by Bomb Disposal Squad.

A police officer said that police party noticed the suspected device (hand grenade) in the area today morning. The BDS squad was immediately informed about the device following which a team was dispatched to the spot, he said.

“It was a live grenade. Bomb disposal squad was pressed into service and the grenade was defused on the spot, the officer said. However, the blast created the panic in the area.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.