BEIRUT:- The UN envoy for Syria called Friday for elections in the war-ravaged country in 18 months, as the opposition announced it will attend fresh peace talks next week.
But in a worrying development ahead of the negotiations, government raids were reported to have killed five civilians in Syria’s second city, Aleppo, despite a ceasefire.
The truce has prompted a nearly two-week lull in fighting between the Russian-backed regime and non-jihadist rebels since coming into force on February 27.
World powers are counting on the ceasefire to hold for a new round of indirect negotiations between the opposition and the government due to start on March 14 in Geneva.
The Riyadh-based High Negotiations Committee, the main Syrian opposition grouping, agreed on Friday to attend the UN-backed talks.
The HNC said its delegation would focus on creating a “transitional governance body with full executive powers”.
It insisted President Bashar al-Assad “will have no place” in a future government.
A plan agreed by world powers last year called for six months of negotiations followed by a transitional government, a new constitution and elections within 18 months.
Last month Assad’s regime announced it would hold parliamentary elections on April 13 instead, drawing criticism.
UN envoy Staffan de Mistura has said “substantive” talks will begin Monday in Geneva and last no longer than 10 days.
The first day of negotiations would start the countdown to both presidential and parliamentary elections in Syria under UN observation, he said.
“New elections… should be held 18 months from the start of talks, that is from March 14,” de Mistura told Russia’s RIA Novosti state news agency, in comments translated into Russian.
That would mean elections around mid-September 2017.
In addition to planning the polls, the focus in Geneva will be on the formation of “an inclusive new government” and a new constitution, said the envoy.
“I hope that during the first stage of talks, we reach progress at least on the first question (of the new government), it doesn’t matter whether this is on paper,” he was quoted as saying.
A source close to Syria’s government said this week that its delegation would be attending the talks.
Previous diplomatic efforts to resolve the complex conflict have failed.
The war, which is to enter its sixth year next week, has killed more than 270,000 people and displaced millions.
The chief prosecutor for the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal said Friday that those behind atrocities in Syria must eventually be held to account.
“As an international prosecutor and somebody who believes in justice… it is obvious that sooner or later accountability will be needed for the crimes committed in Syria,” Serge Brammertz said.
The last round of UN-sponsored talks collapsed in Geneva in February amid a fierce Russian-backed government offensive in Aleppo
Be Part of Quality Journalism
Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.