Funeral prayers in absentia held for slain militants in Kashmir


Srinagar:  Kashmir University students, scholars as well as teachers residing in different hostels offered funeral prayers in absentia in favour of the three militants who were killed after two day’s long encounter in Pampore town of South Kashmir’s Pulwama district.

Eyewitnesses told CNS that scores of Kashmir University students and staffers assembled in University premises on Monday evening and held funeral prayers in absentia. “A good number of people participated in these funeral prayers,” said a student.

Pertinently, three non-local militants were killed after 48 hours long battle with Indian Forces in which five security men and a civilian were also killed.

Funeral prayers in absentia were also held at Jamia Masjid Srinagar, Pampore and Faizpanah Tral. A procession was taken out to express solidarity with the slain militants short after funeral prayers in Tral.

Meanwhile amid restrictions in Pampore town, a complete shutdown was observed in different parts of South Kashmir to mourn the death of three non-local militants. Eyewitnesses said that authorities had imposed restrictions in Pampore town to thwart possible protests. Heavy security arrangement was made to maintain law and order in the town. To mourn the death of the militants, people observed shutdown in Pulwama, Kakapora, Tral, Pampore, Awantipora and in parts of Anantnag including Dangarpora, Mattan Chowk, Kadipora, Iqbalpora. Angry youth resorted to stone-pelting in Awantipora while locals alleged that Para-military Central Reserve Police Force damaged the vehicles and windowpanes of several residential houses.

Similar reports were received from South Kashmir’s Anantnag district where shortly after stone-pelting, CRPF personnel barged into houses and damaged windowpanes of the residential houses. Stone-pelting incidents were also reported from Muran Chowk of Pulwama district. A police official told CNS that situation in South Kashmir remained peaceful throughout the day. (CNS)


LeT pays tribute to slain militants, ‘Shaista and Danish’s killings avenged’

 Militant outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba Tuesday said that militants avenged the death of Kashmiri girl Shaista Hamid and Danish Farooq by killing Indian Army Captain Pawan Kumar who according to the outfit was responsible for the murder of these two students.

Both Shaista and Danish Farooq were killed during post encounter protests in Kakapora Puwama on February 14 this month when Forces allegedly opened fire on them.

While paying tribute to the three militants who were killed after 48 hours long gun battle in South Kashmir’s Pampore town, LeT Chief Mehmood Shah said due to precious sacrifices of these militants the sun of freedom will definitely rise in Kashmir. As per the statement issued to CNS, Mehmood Shah said that frustration engulfed thousands of Indian troopers due to valiant show displayed by three militants in two day’s long gun battle. “The parents of these faithful followers and soldiers deserve admiration and praise,” he said.

While holding Indian slain Captain Pawan Kumar responsible for the killings of Shaista Hamid and Danish Farooq, LeT chief said militants have paid back by avenging their deaths. Pertinently, Captain Pawan Kumar along with two other soldiers was killed while taking on militants in Sempora Pampore.

 “During Pampore gun fight it seemed that whole Kashmir nation was up in arms against India,” Mehmood Shah said and condemned the use of pellet guns on protesters. (CNS)


Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.