Justice denied:Panel To Probe 2010 Killings Has No Address

SRINAGAR: The 120 families of the victims of the 2010 killings from different districts of Kashmir Monday demanded justice to their kin who were killed in police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) firing when unrest gripped Kashmir following the killing of a teenager (Tufail Mattoo), by police.
The family members alleged that Government has miserably failed to punish the killers of over 120 youth during the 2010 summer agitation.
“My brother Ghulam Rasool Bhat (28) along with his friend Muhammad Amin Ganie (27) was killed at Tappar Pattan on 17 September 2010 but till date no action has been initiated against the killers,” said Shabir Ahmed.
He said that they presented themselves before the Koul Commission for number of times but now it seems that Commission is buying time and it has no intention to punish the guilty. 
“My husband Showkat Ahmed Mir was killed in government forces firing in 2010. I was expecting justice after Justice M L Koul was nominated to probe the killings. I have four daughters and a little son and there is nobody to take care of my family,” Zeba Banoo, a resident of Mamat Budgam who was part of the delegation said.   
The families alleged the government is deliberately protracting the case to shield the killers.  The Jammu & Kashmir government in June, 2014 had appointed a one-man judicial commission to probe the murder of over 120 civilians during the unrest in the Valley in 2010. Justice (retd) M L Koul headed this one-man commission.
Farooq Ahmad Kuchay, whose brother Nisar Ahmed Kuchay was killed during a protest demonstration at Humhama Budgam, accused the government of shielding the ‘guilty’ CRPF personnel who opened fire on unarmed protesters without any provocation on September 13, 2010.
“Besides three other persons my younger brother, a BA final year student, also fell to the bullets of CRPF personnel. They were protesting against the desecration of Holy Quran and were not part of any anti-India protest,” Kuchay said. He said the affected families are still craving for justice while as the Koul Commission has been working at a snail’s pace.
When contacted Justice (Rtd) M L Koul said that the Commission at present is defunct as it has no office to function from for past many weeks. “After September 2014 floods we moved our office from Civil Secretariat to a local hotel in Dalgate. The owner of the hotel asked us to vacate the hotel citing security reasons. At present the Commission is defunct as it has no office. We have informed the government and the Director Estates has assured that an office will be made available for the Commission in few days,” he said.

Follow this link to join our WhatsApp group: Join Now

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.