‘India Prepared For War With Pakistan’

0Shares

Future Wars Offer Limited Warning Time, Says Army Chief

NEW DELHI:  The war of words  between India and Pakistan escalated as  Indian army chief, General Dalbir Singh issued a veiled threat to Pakistan on Tuesday that the Indian army was prepared to face any military action on the border with its  ‘western neighbor’ if the need arises. 

Indian Army Chief was reacting to Pakistan Defence Minister Khwaja Asi’s statement that India would suffer ‘heavy losses’ if it imposed a war on Pakistan.

The exchange of statements comes in the wake of intense ceasefire violations across the Line of Control (LoC).

On Friday, firing between India and Pakistan across Line of Control and the working boundary killed at least nine people, including six civilians on Pakistani side.

More than 40 were treated for wounds in hospital in the town of Sialkot, the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) said.

Pakistan’s defence minister earlier warned India that it will suffer “heavy losses” which it would “remember for decades” if it tries to “impose” a war on his country.

“If India crosses the international border and aggression is committed again, we will defend our homeland and inflict much more damage than 1965,” Asif said.

On Tuesday, speaking at the Tri-Service Seminar on the 1965 Indo-Pak War, Singh said a high-level of operational preparedness at all times had become part of India’s strategy as short nature of future wars offered limited warning time.

“As we look ahead, we can see our threats and challenges become more complex. As a result, the commitments of the Indian Army have increased manifold in scope and intensity in past few years,” he said.

All this has panned out after the cancellation of talks between the National Security Advisors of both sides.  Following disagreements over the agenda for talks, both countries have accused each other of violating the ceasefire agreement that has led to a loss of civilian lives as well as casualties to the defense forces.

Pakistan last month said Indian forces had committed over 70 unprovoked ceasefire violations on the LoC and the Working Boundary in July and August respectively.

The 1965 war between the two countries took place over two weeks in September, and each September 6 Pakistani media eulogises the army for thwarting Indian “aggression”.

US again urges India, Pak to resolve issues 

NEW DELHI: The United States has once again called on India and Pakistan to resolve differences through dialogue, according to a US State Department’s statement.

According to the Dawn, the US State Department Deputy Spokesman Mark C. Toner said that the US has encouraged the two South Asian neighbours to hold talks in order to reduce the escalating tensions.

Toner also maintained that US recognises that there is still a threat from terrorist groups like Haqqani Network emanating from Pakistan. The national security advisers of India and Pakistan were scheduled to meet in New Delhi last month but the talks were called off. 

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.

ACT NOW
MONTHLYRs 100
YEARLYRs 1000
LIFETIMERs 10000

CLICK FOR DETAILS


Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

KO SUPPLEMENTS