Raids, Arrests In South Kashmir After NIA Arrival

Detainees to be paraded before captured Pakistani militant

SRINAGAR: Days after the arrest of Pakistani militant in Udhampur, police picked up many youth who allegedly have helped the captured militant in carrying out attack on BSF convoy at Samruli Udhampur.

The captured militant Usman alias Qasim Khan of Fai-salabad who is in the custody of the National Investigating Agency (NIA) was brought to Srinagar from New Delhi, officials said. 

Pakistani militant has been lodged in Raj Bagh based SOG office where all the arrested youth will be paraded before him for identification, these officials said.

According to police sources at least six youth were picked up detained from Charsoo, Avanpora Kachaskoot, Gharikhal areas of Pulwama district and a youth was also picked up from Khudwani area of Kulgam district. The detainees, that includes  two brothers hailing from Avanpora Kachaskoot in Awantipora tehsil. A police official identified these two brothers as Javid Ahmed Wani and Fayaz Ahmed sons of Muhammad Shaban Wani. Another youth who has been detained and likely to be paraded before the captured Usman was identified as Javid Ahmed Parray from Charsoo hamlet of Pulwama .

Muhammad Shaban, the father of Javid and Fayaz Ahmed said that his both sons are inno-cent and have never been part of any militant group. “My sons are not affiliated with any militant organization and I fail to understand why they have been arrested,” he said and admitted that Javid and Fayaz were picked up during a nocturnal raid.

A police official wishing not to be named said that after the arrest of the suspected youth, they were taken to con-cerned police station where their video and photography was done. Later on they were shifted to SOG office located in Rajbagh. “While NIA officials reached here on Friday from Delhi, Usman has been brought to establish the route he used to reach Udhampur and to identify ac-complices who facilitated his passage to Udhampur,” he said.  

Pulwama Shut for 2ndDay

Amid violent clashes Pulwama district ob-served a complete shutdown for the second day to mourn the death of a militant who was killed in a gun fight with the government forces at Astan Mohalla Kakapora Thursday evening.

Eyewitnesses said that a complete shutdown was ob-served by people in Pulwama, Pampore, Samboora and Kakapora areas of the district. Amid heavy police dep-loyment, protesters clashed with the government forces at Rajpora and Muran chowk in Pulwama market prompting police to resort to cane charge to disperse them. The protesters amid pro-freedom slogans hurled stones on police and Para-military personnel.

The clashes between protesters and police broke out in Kakapora town as well. Reports said that protesters clashed with police till late night on Friday after which government forces raided many houses and arrested at least six person on charges of stone-pleting. –Inputs from GNS/CNS 

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.