Girl Ends Life After Youth Posts Picture on FacebookPolice


Police invoke article 306 RPC, 5 members of two families arrested

SRINAGAR: A 21-year-old girl from Magam in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district on Thursday ended her life by consuming some poisonous substance after she found out that her picture has been uploaded on facebook.

Official sources said that the girl (name with held) of Tumpora, Magam, Handwara was reportedly shocked to findthat a local youth, Shamsdin Lone has uploaded her photograph in social media page on May 17. 

In the meantime, the brother of the girl saw the said picture and raised questions before her sister.

On the next day, the situation took an ugly turn when the relatives, including the brother of the sister assaulted the youth Shamsdin Lone with some iron rod resulting in serious injuries to him, sources said. Lone was immediately shifted to nearby hospital where from he was referred to SMHS hospital Srinagar for specialized treatment.

Following the growing tiff between the two families, the girl on Thursday morning committed suicide by consuming some poisonous substance, they said.

Meanwhile, a police official said that five persons have been arrested with regard to the incident. He said that a case under FIR No. 115/2015 under section 306 RPC was registered and further investigations taken up. 

Giving details a police official said that one Muhammad Ramzan Bhat of Tumpora Magam village registered a complaint in police station alleging that his neighbor namely Shamsudin Lone son of Ghulam Hasan has been harassing his daughter and has even has uploaded her photograph on social networking site facebook. Police accordingly lodged an FIR in this regard.

According to SP Handwara, Ghulam Jeelani soon after police lodged an FIR, the two families accused and abused each other. “The youth who had allegedly uploaded the photograph of the girl was critically wounded after the family members of the girl beat him up. The youth is still under treatment in SKIMS Soura,” he said and added that Police again registered an FIR against the assailants for beating up and wounding the youth.

SP Handwara said that again the two families attacked each other and during this fuss, the girl consumed some poisonous substance and was immediately rushed to SKIMS Soura. “We again lodged an FIR into the incident and on Thursday the girl breathed her last and the police registered fourth FIR soon after the death of the girl,” he said.

“We have been investigating the matter and so far have arrested five persons,” he said adding that members of the both families are being questioned and every effort will be made to ascertain the fact that led to the death of the girl.


Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.