Army Fires At Car, 2 Killed, 2 Injured

  • Vehicle refused to stop, we regret the incident: Army
  • We have lodged FIR and law will take its own course: Police

BUDGAM:  At least two persons were killed and two others injured when an Army's ambush party opened fire on their car at Chatergam in the Budgam district on Monday evening.

Police claimed the troops started firing, at civilians in a Maruti-800 car, after they failed to stop at a check-point despite being asked to do so.

The Army shifted the injured to a base hospital, where two persons succumb to their injured and condition of two other injured civilians is stated to be critical.

The incident took place at the same spot where two years ago, an Army team had allegedly killed two soldiers and injured three others in a case of "mistaken identity".

According to reports available the incident occurred when troops of Army’s 53-Rastriya Rifles signalled a Maruti car (JKOIR-321) to stop at a naka in Chattergam at around 5:30 pm. “The vehicle didn’t stop and Army personnel on duty opened indiscriminate fire in which four civilians travelling in the vehicle were injured of whom two later succumbed to their injures.” 

The slain youth have been identified as Fazal Mohammad (26) and Me’rajudin Dar, residents of Nowgam.

The two injured Shakir Ahmad Bhat (30) and Zahid Ahmad Naqash (25) of Nowgam have been operated upon by the doctors at the army hospital.

A defence spokesman said that based on the specific intelligence reports about the movement of militants in a white Maruti 800 Car along Nowgam to Pulwama road, three Mobile Vehicle Check Posts (MVCP) were established along the road. “At approximately, 5 PM, a white Maruti 800 Car approached the first check point where the personnel tried to stop the car but it did not stop. Again at the second check point, the vehicle was stopped but it did not stop. At the third check point, the vehicle tried to barge through the check point, resulting into a firing incident in which four persons were injured,” he said.

“The injured were rushed to the Army Base Hospital, Srinagar. Two persons succumbed to their injuries and two are under treatment. Army regrets the loss of lives and has ordered an enquiry to investigate into the circumstance leading to the incident. Anyone found guilty will be severely dealt with,” he added.

Inspector General Police (IGP) Kashmir A G Mir said they have lodged an FIR into the incident. “Law will take its own course,” a KNS, report said.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.