Protests in Pattan after pregnant woman dies in hospital

SRINAGAR: Hours after the death of a pregnant woman due to the alleged negligence of doctors of Sub District Hospital Pattan, authorities Thursday placed Block Medical Officer Pattan Dr Haseena Mir under suspension till the completion of the probe into the death of the said female patient.

Pertinently, on Wednesday evening soon after the death of a pregnant woman namely Gulshana Banoo wife of Muhammad Sharafat Khan resident of Zangam Pattan, the protestors ransacked the hospital equipments and smashed the window panes of Sub District Hospital Pattan. The protestors alleged that Gulsahna died due to negligence of the doctors. “She had died in the hospital but to save their skin and to make a fool of us, they directed us to shift the patient to Lal Dad Hospital,” her father Abdul Ahad Bhat said adding that sensing trouble and feeling their guilt, the hospital authorities fled from the hospital while Block Medical Officer was seen nowhere.

The protestors after ransacking the hospital equipments placed the dead body on Srinagar-Muzafarabad road and resorted to heavy stone-pelting after police tried to disperse them. The protestors according to police damaged scores of passenger vehicles. The agitated protestors alleged that police used force and freely bursted tear smoke shells on them that result in the injury of scores of protestors. A police official said that at least six policemen were injured during the clashes.

Reports said that the clashes continued for hours and around 11:30 in the night, Deputy Commissioner Baramulla Farooq Ahmed Lone and Chief Medical Officer Baramulla arrived on spot and assured them of prompt action against the erring doctors.

DC Baramulla said that two separate committees have been formed to probe the matter. “One committee would be headed by District Health Officer Baramulla while another committee has been constituted by Directorate Health Service,” he said adding that both the committees have been directed to present their report within two days.

Director Health Kashmir, Dr Saleem-ur-Rehman said that Block Medical Officer SDH Pattan Dr Haseena has been suspended till inquiry is completed. “A three members committee comprised of Dr Altaf Ahmed, Dr Bashir Ahmed and Dr Anjum will present the report within two days,” he said.

Meanwhile, people protested on Thursday morning again against the incident and demanded immediate removal of the present staff of the hospital. The protestors alleged that most of the doctors deputed in the hospital shift their patients to their private clinics. “One Dr Imtiyaz of the same hospital charged Rs 15,000 from me for a minor operation at his private clinic in Bemina while the same operation is done here free of cost,” a protestor said.

Dr Imtiyaz admitted that he charged Rs 15,000 from the patient but refuted the allegation that he compelled the patient to turn up at his private clinic. He said that there is no harm in private practice. “After 3, I am free to do anything and one should have no objection if I indulge in private practice,” he said.

Meanwhile SSP Baramulla, Mir Suhail said that police has registered an FIR vide number 194/2014 under section 304A, 109 of RPC in this regard. “We have also sought hospital records and investigation is going on,” he said adding that police has not made any arrest so far. (CNS)

Follow this link to join our WhatsApp group: Join Now

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.