Curfew Like Restrictions On 2nd Day In Pulwama

SRINAGAR: Curfew like restrictions continued for the second straight day Friday in south Kashmir’s Pulwama town which has been on boil after a local militant was killed in an alleged encounter in Budgam district of central Kashmir.

Reports said that an undeclared curfew remained in force in the town and its peripheries for the second consecutive day to prevent people from staging demonstrations against the killing of militant Tausef Ahmad Dar. Tauseef, who was reportedly associated with the Hizbul Mujahedin, was killed on Wednesday afternoon in army firing.

Hundreds of police and paramilitary personnel were deployed in Main Town Pulwama who restricted the movement of civilians.

Concertina wires and other barricades were erected to restrict the movement of the people. Residents alleged that they were not being allowed to move out of their homes by CRPF personnel.

No Friday congregation was witnessed at the Jamia Mosque of the town. 

Residents alleged that  CRPF personnel on Thursday night barged into their houses in New Colony and Malikpora and beat the inmates without any provocation. They alleged that CRPF personnel smashed window panes of houses and vehicles parked in the lawns. 

Denying these allegations however, a police official said that no CRPF personnel indulged in such act as state police present on spot are monitoring the situation.

In Murran Chowk, tight security arrangements were made, a day after violent clashes rocked the area causing injuries to at least nine people. However, In Dalipora area, groups defied restrictions and clashed with the government forces. However, no one was injured in the clashes, reports said.

Reports of clashes have also been received from Pakherpora area, where youth fought pitched battles with police and paramilitary forces.

Meanwhile, a complete shutdown was observed in other parts of the district including, Prichoo, Kangan, Rajpora, Rahmoo, Kakpora, Rajpora, Neva, Pakerpora and other neighbourhood areas to mourn the death of the local militant.

A police official said that the situation remained by and large peaceful in the town barring few stray incidents of stone pelting. 

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.