Dec 5, 1991: The day Kokernag witnessed hell

SRINAGAR: The incident of December 5, 1991 still haunts people of South Kashmir’s Kokernag, when CRPF personnel of Bindu Kokernag allegedly set ablaze three villages after killing two locals and injuring several others.

According to locals in Kokernag, on December 5, 1991, forces from the nearby camp cordoned off a number of villages in the Kokernag area and allegedly started indiscriminate firing due to which two people were killed and more than 20 people were injured.

The reports by several Human rights organizations stated that the forces barged  into the houses of locals and raped women, including a six months pregnant lady. The later reported the matter to District Authorities of the area .First Information Report  (F.I.R) was  registered in the then Police station  Dooru Anantnag. The reports further mentioned that the case is still under investigation. 

Some locals while talking to KNS stated that after the incident, women were medically examined in the district hospital , and the  fact was established that had been raped.

“The forces in order to harass the people set ablaze 46 houses in Tengi pora, Nayak Pora, Herpira of Hillar Bahi .After two days of incidents the pregnant lady gave birth to a dead child. Due to the threat of the forces ladies of the locality took shelter in the house of one Gh.Qadir Rather after the forces started setting ablaze the houses of the innocent people. One married lady was dragged out of a room in the said house and on gun point taken to third floor of the building where she was raped by a Sikh armed personal,” said Ghulam Nabi (name changed), a local, while talking to KNS on pone.

Khurshid Ahmad (name changed) another local resident who still remembered what happened on that day in his village stated that the women tried best to save their chastity but the forces did not pay any heed to their requests. “One woman requested them (forces) not to commit any inhuman act as she was pregnant but the armed personnel raped her. Another lady of 25 years old was taken into the second floor of the same house and was raped. She offered her wrist watch as a bribe for not committing the inhuman act but the armed personnel raped her guarded the door of the room. The forces later took the said wrist watch along with them.”

Mohammad Sharief, another local while talking to KNS said that several houses were gutted down by the forces and people were not allowed even to collect the valuables from their homes. “The forces kept the locals in the nearby river stream in the chilling cold and fired indiscriminately. Two people were killed including a guest who was a teacher by profession.”

The reports mentioned that the case was registered in the local police station but the investigations into the matter are still going on and no conclusive report has been submitted till date.

The local police station in this regard was contacted but it was informed to the KNS district correspondent that the officials are on duty in connection with the tour of the local MLA of the area. (KNS)

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.