More Fiadyeen Attacks Not Ruled Out: IGP


Poilce Cracks Bemina Fidayeen Attack Case

SRINAGAR: Without ruling out the possibility of more Fidayeen attacks in Valley, Inspector General of Police (IGP) Kashmir Abdul Gani Mir today said Police have cracked the Bemina attack case and arrested four persons involved in it.  He said the Special Investigation Team has been tasked for further investigations in the case.

Addressing his maiden press conference, the IGP claimed that 4 militants involved in this attack have been arrested. However, he said that Lashkar-e-Taiba militant Ahmad Bhai who was the mastermind of the attack was currently in Pakistan. He revealed that Bashir Ahmad and Mukthar Ahmad Shah of Uri and Pradeep Kumar of Kanispora Baramulla and have been arrested in this case.

The IGP said that investigations so far have revealed that the attack was carried out by two LeT activists, identified as Saif, a resident of Dera Ghazi Khan and Haider resident of Multan, Pakistan at the behest of their commander Ahmad Bhai and Logistics chief Anas Bilal who are based across the LOC. The duo had been facilitated, handled and controlled by Pakistani commander Mohammad Zubair alias Talha Zaraar resident of Chak No 104, Multan Pakistan and  local co-commander Bashir Ahmad Mir alias Haroon, son of Mir Zaman resident of Uri.  Both Bashir Ahmad Mir and Talha Zaraar have been arrested by District Police Srinagar and are currently on police remand.

Speaking about intentions and entrance of militants into Valley, IGP said, “Preliminary investigations have revealed that while Talha Zaraar had come to the valley in the first week of January, 2013, the two terrorists, Saif and Haider had entered into the valley in mid-February this year. As revealed by the arrested militants, the CRPF personnel in close proximity to youngsters playing cricket were purposefully chosen as a target since that would allow them to inflict maximum damage and had the potential to lead to civilian causalities as well.”

Further Haroon, according to IGP, during preliminary questioning has also revealed that, since the strike call had been announced by the separatists, he was sure to find CRPF personnel deployed on the highway.

”Usual presence of unarmed CRPF personnel deployed as standby component for law and order during strike days in the sports ground of Police Public School Bemina, had attracted his (Haroon’s) attention many a times in the past as well” Mir added.

Providing details about the arms and ammunition recovered, Mir said that arms and ammunition in huge quantity had been recovered upon disclosures made by the arrested militants. “These include two AK 47’s (with eight magazines), 240 AK rounds, one UBGL, 40 rifle grenades, 40 hand grenades,    two pouches, two anti tank mines, 12 RC’s, one map, two light bags, three GPS devices, two compasses, two wireless sets, two time bombs (Charge, timer and detonators), pencil cell batteries and a transparent poly – pack containing  ” Made in Pakistan” medicines and ointment” IGP claimed.

When asked possibility of more Fidayeen attacks in the Valley, the IGP said, “Intentions of LeT are clear and they (LeT) are active. But Police is capable enough and ready to deal with any kind of situation”.

A Fidayeen attack in Srinagar’s Bemina area on 9th March after a gap of three years had left five CRPF men dead and some injured. Forces had killed two militants on spot. Hizbul Mujhahideen  had owned responsibility for the attack saying the attack was launched on a CRPF camp. (KNS)

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.