Yasin Malik Arrives, Placed Under House Arrest


SRINAGAR: Soon after he landed in Srinagar Sunday morning, Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) leader Yasin Malik was placed under house arrest by police. 

They said the step was taken to prevent Malik from leading protests as all other key leaders have either been jailed or have been under house detentions for last sevearl weeks.

Yasin Malik returned from Pakistan after over seven-week stay on Saturday. Malik has been under attack for sharing stage with Jamat-ud-Dawa chief Hafeez Saeed in Pakistan and his return to national capital yesterday saw protests by Shiv Sena activists at the airport.

Malik, who arrived by a Pakistan International Airlines(PIA) flight from Islamabad, faced a volley of questions by newsmen for sharing dais with Saeed, wanted by India in connection with 2008 Mumbai attack. The JKLF leader said, “If the Indian State wants to arrest me, that is their wish. If they want to take away my passport or put me in jail, they can go ahead. Jail is my second home.”

He added that he had not invited Saeed at the rally. “What’s crime I have committed? I neither invited him nor was I organising the protest rally. I was an invitee myself,” said Malik. The JKLF leader said the Government was free to act and withdraw his passport, which was due to expire on March 19. 

Malik was on a hunger strike in Islamabad last month to protest against the execution of Afzal Guru, where Hafiz Saeed also joined him on the stage. 

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.