SRINAGAR: The Jammu and Kashmir government today said a case under the murder charge had been registered in connection with the Baramulla firing incident in which a 25-year-old man was killed.
“A First Information Report under section 302 (murder) of the Ranbir Panel Code dated March 5 has been registered in Police Station, Baramulla,” senior minister Ali Mohammad Sagar told the state assembly.
The police have, in a First Information Report, accused the troops, and their commander, Colonel Dalbinder Singh of the 46 Rashtriya Rifles of killing the young man, whose funeral was held last night.
The Army has denied the charges. It has issued three statements which show discrepancies. First, the army said it acted in self-defense. Then, a second statement denied any involvement in the young man’s death. A third expressed regret over the killing and said a time-bound investigation will be conducted.
Replying to a debate on the adjournment motion on the firing incident moved by PDP’s Muzaffar Hussain Baig, Sagar said the FIR had been lodged on the complaint of the Baramulla Deputy Commissioner.
He said the government would ensure that the bereaved family gets justice and culprits responsible for the incident brought to book at the earliest.
Sagar said the government had announced an ex-gratia of Rs five lakh for the bereaved family.
Describing the incident as unfortunate, the minister said the government had already issued strict instructions to security forces to exercise maximum restraint while dealing with law and order.
Be Part of Quality Journalism
Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.