Death in Hyderabad Puts Kashmir On Edge, Again


Protests, Clashes, Stone Pelting, Tear Shelling marked the day

SRINAGAR: Mysterious death of a PHD student from South Kashmir  in Hyderabad triggered massive protests in his native Pulwama district and other adjoining areas on Sunday with separatists calling for a Valley wide strike on Monday.  

Mudasir Kamran Malla S/o Ghulam Qasir Malla resident of Parigam, Pulwama pursuing Ph.D in English at English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad was found hanging in his hostel room Saturday night. As the word about Mudasir’s death spread in Pulwama Sunday morning people took to streets and staged protests. 

Normal life came to a halt with shopkeepers downing shutters and traffic going off the roads in the district.

Protests and stone pelting by angry youths was reported from Newa, Kakapora and Koil townships of the district apart from Parigam, native village of the deceased.

According to eye witnesses, a protest march from Parigam village towards Pulwama township was intercepted by police and CRPF at Newa township resulting in fierce clashes.  Pitched battles were also fought by police and angry youth at main town Pulwama apart from Kakapora and Koil. Security personnel resorted to heavy tear gas shelling to disperse the agitated demonstrators. Reports said several youth and policemen received minor injuries while as many youth were arrested by police in these areas. Eyewitnesses said some vehicles of Police and CRPF also suffered damage at Koil and Newa townships during stone pelting incidents. 

Meanwhile, protests and clashes were also reported from Sumbal, Sonawari and Naid Khai localities of north Kashmir’s Bandipore district.

Heavy contingents of police and CRPF were deployed to tackle the law and order situation across the Pulwama district.

According to the reports, the student named Mudasir Ahmad Malla studying at English and Foreign Language University, Hyderabad was found hanging under mysterious circumstances in his hostel room on Saturday evening.

Neighbours and family of Mudasir however allege that he has been murdered. “We had no contact with Mudasir for last six days. We are not ready to buy the argument that he has committed suicide. It is clearly a case of murder”, said Ashiq Husain, elder brother of the deceased.

Unconfirmed reports said Mudasir was questioned by the Hyderabad police on the charges of having participated in the protest held against  Afzal Guru’s hanging in the city some time back. 

Meanwhile Commissioner of Hyderabad Police, Anurag Sharma denied allegations that Mudasir had become victim of any harassment.

“He was a PhD student in the English and Foreign Language University and was sharing his Hostel room with his friend Waseem from Maharshtra. Both were good friends in the beginning but later something went wrong between the two and Waseem complained to the University authorities against his roommate”, the Commissioner said.

He said the University authorities handed over the issue to Professor Mishra who later took both the students to a local Police station. “However the Police after counselling the duo sent them back to their Hostel. Unfortunately, Mudasir, perhaps took all this as a humiliation and couldn’t bear it and therefore committed suicide”, claimed the Police Commissioner while talking to KNS.

Commissioner further dismissed reports that Mudasir was arrested with regard to leading any protests. “These are all speculations. It is a suicide and a simple suicide case has been registered. Dead body of Mudasir will reach Delhi today and then it will be sent to Kashmir without any delay”, he said.

Meanwhile, the police spokesman in a statement issued here said Hyderabad police has registered a complaint against the University Proctor. “Hyderabad Police has lodged an FIR 79/2013 under section 306-IPC in police station Osmania University against the proctor. Further investigation in the case is going on and Jammu and Kashmir Police is in constant touch with the Hyderabad Police”, the police spokesman said.        

SSP Pulwama, Amit Kumar said the case had nothing go to do with J&K Police. “There has been some dispute between the room mates and one of them had complained to the University Proctor. A Case has been registered by Hyderabad police”, he added.

Meanwhile, Divisional Commissioner Kashmir, Asghar Samoon termed the incident as unfortunate. “Investigations will reveal everything and we express our solidarity with the bereaved family. I have asked the concerned District Magistrate he said the administrations had not plans of imposing curfew in any area. “However, if needed, the concerned district administration will decide after taking situation into consideration”, he added.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.