Toll In Valley Mounts To 3 As Curfew Crosses 3rd Day


SRINAGAR: The death toll in protests after the hanging of the parliament attack-accused  Muhammad Afzal Guru went up to three on Monday, even as curfew remained in force across the Kashmir Valley for the third day, with demonstrations breaking out at several places.

A teenager who had been among five persons injured in forces firing on violent protestors in the Watragam area of the Baramulla district yesterday succumbed to his injuries early on Monday.

Fifteen-year-old Ubair Mushtaq was one of the two injured persons shifted to the SKIMS here from the Baramulla hospital.

The condition of the other victim continues to be critical, reports said.

Tensions mounted further in the Sumbal area of North Kashmir after the body of a schoolboy was pulled out of the Jhelum this morning.

 The victim, Zameer Ahmad Dar, was said to have been a class 8 student.

Another boy, Tariq Ahmad, had already been pulled out dead from the river on Saturday after a group  reportedly jumped off the Sumbal bridge to escape chasing police and paramilitary men.

Authorities said the duo drowned after their boat capsized in the river. Four of their companions had been pulled out alive from the water, they said.

In Guru’s hometown Sopore, police and paramilitary forces used cane charges and tear gas to break up demonstrations flaring up again on Monday morning.

Reports said that protests demonstrations broke out in several town areas like Chankipora, Batpora, and Rahim Sahib since morning, and clashes with forces continued intermittently throughout the day.

Fierce stone-pelting was reported from the Khan Sahib area of the Baramulla town where a CRPF jawan, identified as Rajesh Tiwara, was among several persons injured in the clashes.

Violent demonstrations and retaliatory tear gas shelling were reported from the southern Pulwama town, and the Rafiabad area of Baramullla as well.  

Meanwhile, life across the Valley remained paralysed for the third day due to an indefinite curfew clamped in the wake of the hanging of Muhammad Afzal Guru in Delhi’s Tihar Jail on Saturday.

Newspapers published from Srinagar have not been allowed to hit the stands, TV news channels are off the air, and most internet badly services disrupted.

There has been no formal word from the authorities over the clampdown on the media. 

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.