Microsoft launches Windows Phone 8 on a range of smartphone from Nokia, HTC and Samsung to deliver a highly personalized experience for the users while bringing in a gamut of pioneering features such as Wireless Charging and Optipcal Image Stabilization.
New Delhi, 30th October, 2012: Microsoft Corporation India Pvt. Ltd. today announced the launch of Windows Phone 8, the latest version of the companys smartphone operating system. Windows Phone 8 offers a truly personal phone experience, connecting you to the people and things that matter most.
As part of the announcement, Microsoft revealed new features, including Kids Corner and Rooms, along with details of a range of beautiful new smartphones from Nokia, Samsung and HTC, each with their own different designs, colors and features. Starting with the Windows Phone 8X by HTC, Windows Phone 8 devices will go on sale in India starting November.
We cant wait for consumers to meet Windows Phone 8, the most personal smartphone there is, said Mr. Bhaskar Pramanik, Chairman, Microsoft Corporation India Pvt. Ltd. A range of stunning, colorful and unique Windows Phone devices are coming to India starting November.
Most Personal Smartphone
Live Tiles are the heart and soul of Windows Phone, and no other phone has them. People can arrange the iconic Start screen however they want by pinning their favorite people, apps, music, games, photos and more. Three sizes of Live Tiles and 20 bright color choices including cobalt, crimson and lime mean you can personalize your Start screen to be unmistakably yours.
In addition to Live Tiles, Windows Phone 8 offers a range of new features to make your smartphone experience even more personal, including
- The only phone with Live Apps. Live Apps bring information right to the Start screen, such as the Groupon deal of the day, flight information and news headlines. With Windows Phone 8, Live Apps such as Facebook can even deliver real-time information right to your lock screen with updated wallpaper.
- Top apps. The Windows Phone Store has 120,000 apps to choose from, with hundreds added every day and hits coming soon such as Angry Birds, Star Wars, Cut the Rope Experiments, Disneys Wheres My Water, LivingSocial, Temple Run, Urbanspoon and many more.
- Kids Corner. Exclusive to Windows Phone 8, Kids Corner is a worry-free way to share your phone with your kids, so they can play Angry Birds without texting your angry boss. Parents can now hand over their phones to the kids without worrying about deleted photos, misdirected emails, unapproved purchases or accidental phone calls. After a simple setup, parents can activate a specialized place on the phone for kids to play complete with their own customizable Start screens where they can access only the apps, games, music and videos picked by parents.
- Rooms. Sometimes you want to share and chat with one group, not your entire social network. Rooms allow you to create private groups of people who have Windows Phone 8 like your family members, best friends or fantasy football leagueand easily connect with just them. Chat, share calendars, shopping lists or photos in an ongoing conversation where only those invited can join in. You can share some aspects of Rooms with friends and family on other smartphones as well.
- Wallet and near-field communications. Windows Phone 8 brings together the best of new wallet technologies, including payments via near-field communications (NFC).1The Wallet can also store your debit, credit, loyalty and membership card information on your phone.
- Always-on, premium Skype experience. With the new Skype app, coming soon to Windows Phone 8, you can make and receive Skype calls just like a regular phone call. Simply tap a friend or family members contact card in the People Hub, or just pick up when the phone rings. Skype is always on and available so you can choose how to connect with people.
Leading up to todays launch, Nokia, Samsung and HTChave announced an array of phones for Windows Phone 8, featuring large, vivid screens, new camera innovations, NFC capabilities, and bold colors such as red, yellow, blue, black and white. Each phone offers unique features and comes in a variety of price points.
- Nokia. The Nokia Lumia 920 offers state-of-the-art photography that fits in your pocket, and it is the worlds only smartphone to include Optical Image Stabilization. The Nokia Lumia 820 offers a ClearBlack display and removable back exchangeable shells in a range of vibrant colors.2 Both the Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 offer wireless charging.
- HTC. The Windows Phone 8X by HTC was designed with sleek lines and radiant colorsto match Windows Phones newLive Tiles. This phone also breaks new ground in optics with 1080p video recording, f2.0 aperture and a dedicated HTC ImageChip on the main 8-megapixel camera and an ultrawide-angle lens on the front camera that lets you fit up to four people in the frame for a premium Skype experience. The 8X and its smaller sibling, the 8S, both boast a killer music experience with Beats Audio and exclusive built-in ampsthat pair perfectly with Xbox Music.
- Samsung. The Samsung ATIV S brings the biggest screen to Windows Phone, with a bright 4.8-inch touchscreen and large battery for extended battery life. Wrapped in brushed aluminum, the ATIV S balances high-end materials and technology with a hairline design and light weight. The ATIV Odyssey was announced today as the latest Windows Phone from Samsung with more details to come.
Perfect Companion for Your Windows Devices
With a similar look and feel, the same technology core, and the same built-in SkyDrive cloud service, Windows Phone 8 is built to work seamlessly with Windows 8 PCs and the Xbox 360 console. For example, now you can edit a document on the go with Windows Phone 8 and pick right up again on your PC when you get home. Create a playlist from your PC, walk out the door and cue up that same list from your phone. Its all possible with Windows.
1Wallet payments require compatible NFC-enabled devices and mobile operator support.
2Shells sold separately; color availability may vary.
About Microsoft Corporation India Pvt. Ltd.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (NASDAQ “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software for personal and business computing. The company offers a wide range of products and services designed to empower people through great software – any time, any place and on any device. Microsoft Corporation (India) Private Ltd is a subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation, USA. It has had a presence in India since 1990 and currently has offices in nine cities – Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi and Pune.
Be Part of Quality Journalism
Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.